Watches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anybody into fine watches??I have some nice Omega pieces..I've never worn anything other than Omega..The reason I ask is because there is a chain of stores going out of business in the Boston area. Just wanted to get some feedback on other nice watches..

I have one of the $1k > Tag Heuer F1 models. It's probably one of the few fine watches I'l ever have until I'm independently wealthy. Other than that, I'm rockin' the Casio G-Shock.

14224_160.jpg

:D

EvilTOJ said:
At a mere $130 I dunno if you count it, but I love my Swiss Army Watch.

I liked mine too except for sending it in to get the battery replaced. I gave it to my dad 9 years ago and he's still wearing it.

I wear a semi-custom Ollech & Wajs diver. Not overly expensive but keeps great time and is rugged as hell. My next watch, however, will be a Damasko DA36. Love that watch. Though if someone were to drop an Omega Seamaster into my lap, I wouldn't say no.

DamaskoDA36L.jpg

If you are in to fine watches, take a look a the Timezone forums. Lots of good information.

Chad

I hate wristwatches, so I have a pocketwatch, but it's a cheapo. Years ago SWMBO got me a Mickey Mouse pocketwatch. Perfect for juveniles like myself.:D

Chad said:
I wear a semi-custom Ollech & Wajs diver. Not overly expensive but keeps great time and is rugged as hell. My next watch, however, will be a Damasko DA36. Love that watch. Though if someone were to drop an Omega Seamaster into my lap, I wouldn't say no.

DamaskoDA36L.jpg

If you are in to fine watches, take a look a the Timezone forums. Lots of good information.

Chad

That's nice. I like that one. One of my Omega's is a Speedmaster..I love it and wear it all the time..Thanks for the tip on that forum. I'm gonna check it out..

That watch you have pictured looks similar to my Omega Dynamic

I wear a 1972 Bulova Accutron that my father won in a sales contest when he worked for Boston Gas. The case is 14 k gold and it keeps good time so WTF.

I wear one of those >$1k Tag Heuers too.
WAF1113.BA0801.jpg

It was a gift from SWMBO on out 10th anniversary. She got nice jewelry. I don't plan on ever needing to buy another watch.

I have several watches in the 1k - 2k price range (I have a thing for watches). I have yet to buy a tag, but I have a Breitling and a Tiffany's watch (trust me, they are gorgeous).

Which chain is going out of business, I might have to pop in myself.

Hello everyone! I am looking for thin men's watches. New to this forum wanted to say hello to all of you too.

Kristoffer Holten.

Watches? Meh.
$29 twenty-something years old, has a crap ton of miles on it, lots of underwater time, looks like hell but still works perfectly, and I've never given a thought for its preservation...

ironman.jpg

Cheers!

@bwarbiany Know what you mean. garmin Fenix 5x for logging multiple activities. Not quite fine watch...but a Tag can’t read my 02 level

My youngest son, otoh, is a huge watch aficionado, and has been buying/selling/trading wicked fancy watche$ for year$. The things are enormous - I would almost certainly clean one right off my wrist the first doorway I walk through wearing one. Some of them are worth crazy money.

I don't get it myself - especially at this point in my life where I'm trying to avoid/eliminate things to stress over...

Cheers!

I'm into fine watches. Well, REALLY into them. I disassemble them, clean them ultrasonically with naptha, re-assemble and calibrate. Occasionally, they still work :) I do wear automatic mechanicals because I'm enamored with the movements.

I do not have an Omega, but one day I'll buy one of the coaxial escapements that they are famous for. I have a deep fascination with the subject of time and timemakers. Don't get me started. Check out a book called Longitude for why timekeeping was incredibly important to early navys. Anyone into watchmaking, and especially Omega watches, should research George Daniels. He invented it. There's an excellent documentary on him and his protégé. I'll drop a link below.

Here's a watch I'm in the process of cleaning... I re-lumed the hands, replaced the crystal, etc.

1600479966599.png

Last edited:
Woof. Kudos for the skills :mug:
At my age that looks like a major eyeball challenge right there that might not end well for the watch ;)

Cheers!

I lost 2 screws and ended up with 3 leftover just from looking at that picture.

I'm into fine watches. Well, REALLY into them. I disassemble them, clean them ultrasonically with naptha, re-assemble and calibrate. Occasionally, they still work :) I do wear automatic mechanicals because I'm enamored with the movements.

I do not have an Omega, but one day I'll buy one of the coaxial escapements that they are famous for. I have a deep fascination with the subject of time and timemakers. Don't get me started. Check out a book called Longitude for why timekeeping was incredibly important to early navys. Anyone into watchmaking, and especially Omega watches, should research George Daniels. He invented it. There's an excellent documentary on him and his protégé. I'll drop a link below.

Here's a watch I'm in the process of cleaning... I re-lumed the hands, replaced the crystal, etc.

View attachment 699081

Crazy skills! I have a Seiko dive watch i bought when i was a Second Lieutenant stationed in Hawaii in the mid-70s. The stem has threads on it to screw into the case to make it waterproof. Those threads have stripped... Any suggestions on the best way to repair that? It looks oddly similar to the watch you're working on. Here's a pic...
IMG_3180[1].JPG

Crazy skills! I have a Seiko dive watch i bought when i was a Second Lieutenant stationed in Hawaii in the mid-70s. The stem has threads on it to screw into the case to make it waterproof. Those threads have stripped... Any suggestions on the best way to repair that? It looks oddly similar to the watch you're working on. Here's a pic...View attachment 699142
Pm me. I could replace that crown pretty easily. In fact I’m pretty sure I have a spare in my kit for that movement. Not major surgery at all.

Back