Washing yeast w/o mason jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Trying to see if this would work properly.
i've been reading up on "freezing your yeast" and had me thinking.
in one of the articles, it says this

1) make a starter
2) throw it in the fridge after fermentation to let the yeast settle
3) take a turkey baster and get the yeast from the bottom and put it in with the glycerin mix into the small test tube....

shouldn't i be able to do the same thing with the yeast from the bottom only fill the test tube mostly all the way up, then a few weeks/months later when i need it, just slowly build up a starter?
i dont want to fill up my fridge with yeasty mason jars. And my freezer doesn't have the space for a ton of test tubes, but i can spare some room in the kegerator.. something tells me SWMBO wouldn't like a ton of yeasty stuff in the fridge :) .

TIA!

If you put glass in the freezer you risk them breaking. I harvest my yeast from the first step of a 2 step starter and put it into preforms in the frige. Starter, crash, decant, harvest, restarter, then I pour the beer from the top of the harvest containers and top off from the starter moments before I pitch. FYI, a preform is the same container that white labs packs their yeast cultures in.

Here is a simple way to do it.

1) Brew beer
2) Rack (or bottle) beer, removing as much of the beer as you can (leave as little as possible).
3) Swirl up the trub.
4) Fill a single sanitized pint mason jar, and throw away the rest of the trub.
5) When ready to use, pour off the liquid and straight pitch the slurry from the mason jar (will keep fine for about a month).

You only need room for 1 mason jar. You can re-use the yeast several times.

A second option:

1) Make starter.
2) Before pitching starter, take a half pint off and store in a sealed jar in the fridge. A half pint mason jar is perfect. You will end up with about a quarter inch of yeast in the bottom. After it has settled (a couple of months) I pour out the beer and fill with distilled water.
3) Store in fridge, and make new starter when ready. I've had good results with reviving yeast after a year.

Awesome! Digging your ideas :) I think I may go with the last one

Back