Washing yeast that has been dry hopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactik

Reaction score
I just did my first liquid yeast batch that had a starter. I used a nylon bag during the boil to contain the hops. I plan on dry hopping this beer with 2oz of pellet hops.

I am planning on washing and harvesting this yeast to use again. I use a 6G Better Bottle and was planning on just dumping the 2oz of pellets into the beer after fermentation ended.

Can I wash and harvest the yeast to use again even though there will be a layer of hops on the bottom?

Yes, that is the idea behind yeast washing. Add your clean water and let the heavier particles settle to the bottom and pour out the yeast layer. Normally you will use one large jar and than wash again into smaller jars to just get a good yeast layer.

My experience with yeast washing with hop pellets is that they sit ON TOP of the yeast layer but you can still do it. Just decant them off top first. I agree with tally that washing is a 2 step process. I would use a half gallon and then a quart. I have also had much success just decanting hops and pitching harvested yeast forging the washing process entirely...

Dry hopping in a secondary came to mind as well. I haven't used a secondary in over a year since everyone scares me with the oxidization monster. It would make my 1st attempt at washing and harvesting yeast much easier if the hop debris wasn't present.

Dry hopping in a secondary came to mind as well. I haven't used a secondary in over a year since everyone scares me with the oxidization monster. It would make my 1st attempt at washing and harvesting yeast much easier if the hop debris wasn't present.

Thats nonsense. I was using secondaries for well over two years of brewing when I started. I really only stopped because I got a kid/I'm lazy. Just keep it sanitary and practice good racking techniques. I got beers over a year old with no signs of oxidation that I have used a secondary with.

Back