Washing yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
OK, I am racking a brew to a secondary ( I know, some folks say unnecessary - old habits from learning years ago are still hard to break ) ANYWAY - I decided, upon the bucket dropping I would like to try washing yeast for the first time - I used some Denny's Favorite and would like to keep it, not to mention just kinda want to see if I can do it.

I LOVE the illustrated "sticky" here - gonna follow it - but as I decided this on the spot - how long can I leave the cake under a half inch of wort or so? I mean, can I leave it like that, with the lid and an airlock for the rest of the day waiting on my sterilized jars to chill? Or until tomorrow? Or do I just skip it this tima and try next batch, that's my lesson for being spontaneous?

Or are there other methods or steps I could take to pull this off today?

Thanks guys!

I can't answer all those questions, but I can say that I left a saison yeast cake until the next day, and then washed in the morning when the jars had cooled. Just popped a solid stopper on the carboy and did it in the am. I've since reused that yeast and it worked fine...second use of the yeast actually made a much better beer.

No, don't skip it. Just make sure you create a starter when you want to use it in the future. That is standard procedure for washed yeast in my brewery.

Leave the cake under the beer and you should be fine for the day. Probably for two but take care of it as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back