Washing my Yeast - What to Brew Next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
Hi all. I am going to attempt to wash and reuse my yeast. This is my first attempt. My Pale Ale used White Labs California Ale. It has about another week to ferment but I want to be ready to brew again and reuse the yeast.

What style should I use this yeast for? I have read that I should do a higher gravity beer with my washed yeast. Is this always the case or can it be split into two smaller batches to be used for something around 4-5 ABV? Also, how many times can I wash and reuse? Thanks.

You can wash and reuse as long as you are getting good results; which will depend on how sanitary your procedures are.

You will get better/more consistent result if washing and reusing from a beer more on the pale side (unless you only do darks) and if it is from a lower gravity beer (under 1.050).

The above is just a guideline though. A lot depends on strain and environment.

I haven't done this, but plan on doing the same soon. I've heard Jamil Z talk extensively about it (rinsing and re-pitching) extensively on one of the "Brewstrong" shows from the brewing network, which you could find in their archives. I have also heard Chris White (whitelabs) talk about this too on one of the brewing network shows. From what I've ideally go from a lower to a higher gravity beer, from a less hoppy to more hoppy beer too. JZ has mentioned that he re-pitches upwards of 3 or more times, that the yeast really get dialed in to your brewery/process around the third + time with great results to be had, assuming you're getting healthy fermentations. Sanitation and handling has to be exemplary, since there is the potential to introduce more bacteria very time.

IMO you wouldn't use all the yeast for a 2nd batch, it could be split to do 2. If you have an ipod, I would strongly encourage looking for that podcast on yeast re-pitching, from the Brewing Network. Very informative. Good luck!

Curious on what it means to wash and re-use yeast.....I have used a liquid yeast White Labs, a Dry Yeast Nottingham packet (not sure on spelling), and a dry yeast packet Montrachet.

I'm assuming (which always seems to do one thing) you can only wash and re-use a yeast cake? In that case when would one move to using a yeast cake and for what brews? Thanks.

never mind I think I get the yeast deal but I'm curious a little on why? I guess white lab seems pricey so might want to use more than once.

never mind I think I get the yeast deal but I'm curious a little on why? I guess white lab seems pricey so might want to use more than once.

It just seems a shame to dump it out when it can be reused. I dumped it out on my first batch. Also, saving $6.99 on my next brew.

I'll check out the podcast. I listened to one that discussed yeast but I need to review it.

Back