Washed yeast settling below trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
Sorry---Not getting any response from the Yeast forum. Thought I would try here, too

I washed come WLP-001 last night. This is the 2nd cultivation for this yeast. Step 2 in an APA/APA/IPA progression.

I've washed yeast 4-5 other times, and every single time, the thick, white creamy yeast (the good stuff) has settled on top of the dark, icky, hop-laden trub in my jars.

Last night, this was not the case.

My jars have the normal 3-bands of matter, but go in the order of (top to bottom):

* Thin, watery beer
* Dark, grimy trub
* White, creamy yeast

I've not seen that to date. What gives?

Yeah. I wasn't able to get any pics this AM before work. I can try to get them after.

Pics.

As you'll see...the lighter matter is at the bottom. Darker on the top.

I have not yet seen that. Is my yeast shot or what?

DSCN1840.JPG

DSCN1841.JPG

Mine have always looked similar just not as much trub. Shot ? I made a 1/2 gal starter yesterday from one I saved 3 months ago and all is good tonight. That is all I can tell you.

Yours have had the yeast on the bottom and the trub on top?

Mine have always been the opposite. Yeast on top.

It makes me wonder why this yeast is heavier than the trub. That I why I am asking if it is spent now.

I have a related question. How are you guys getting the yeast off the trub? I've been thinking of trying this,then put them in 1/2 pint canning jars in the fridge.

I have a related question. How are you guys getting the yeast off the trub? I've been thinking of trying this,then put them in 1/2 pint canning jars in the fridge.

Normally the layers are in order of (watery "beer", viable yeast, trub).

I decant off the watery beer. Then carefully pour (or scoop with a pre-boiled spoon) the viable yeast into a starter or straight into another container with sanitized water while trying to get as little of the trub as possible.

This time around, it looks like I'll be able to decant off the watery beer...then the trub and just have the good stuff left behind. Which actually sounds a lot easier. :ban:

mine did the same with my WLP-001, maybe just this type of yeast. my last batch using safale s05, did the opposite.

Back