washed yeast gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfnturf

Reaction score
I made a batch of Edwort's hefe back in July, but the LBHS only had WLP380. Turned out fantastic. Anyway, I harvested yeast from that batch into two mason jars following the yeast washing illustrated post. Last night, I took out the mason jars and began making a starter. While sitting on the counter warming up to room temp, I heard a fizz and looked over to see foam coming out of the top of one of the jars, around the lid of the seal. I put it in the sink and grabbed the other mason jar out of the kegerator. I opened that one up and it immediately foamed over. Is this normal? The yeast smelled fine, just as I think it should. Would it be safe to use or toss it? I did put it on the stir plate just in case.

any help appreciated thanks.

They are fine, happens all of the time. After you sealed it up there was still some activity and so it is releasing the pressure. It happens to me with every single jar.

Back