Washed some yeast, what can I use it on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
I washed yeast harvested from a previous batch of regular grape wine. I wanted to try some meads and other wines. My question is that there is still a slight hue from the grape wine will this harm my, say peach or strawberry wines? Or just go for it? Thanks!

The amount of residual liquid won't do anything to a "normal" 5-6 gallon batch. But what strain? Sometimes a good grape strain won't do a fruit wine the justice of bringing out its flavors.

Good Ole EC-1118. You can do darn near anything you want. And with Strawberrys coming out soon here, I'll be making a mess of Strawberry wine using that strain.

I was under the impression that wine yeast cannot be effectively washed and re-used, as the high-alcohol environment greatly decreases their viability and vitality (from White/Zainasheff's "Yeast" book).

kombat said:
I was under the impression that wine yeast cannot be effectively washed and re-used, as the high-alcohol environment greatly decreases their viability and vitality (from White/Zainasheff's "Yeast" book).

This is exactly what I was worried about! Can anyone confirm this?

Wine yeast in general is subject to harsher environments, which make propagating harder, but far from impossible. If so, there wouldn't be so many unique and proprietary strains. That said, EC-1118 is a diesel truck running on jet fuel. A "decent" wash, along with a pure sugar (unsulphited grape juice is best) starter will get it humming like nobody's business.

The asterik here is the strain. I'm speaking solely on EC-1118. Good luck with a strain like Côte des Blancs getting re-pitched. I've tried and failed!

Aaron

Back