Was this a good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't. Your mouth is teeming with bacteria that can contaminate your beer and cause infections. You want to keep the wort as sterile as possible so that the yeast have the best chance of consuming all of it.

If you're having trouble getting a siphon going, I recommend an auto-siphon.

no it isn't a good idea but ... sure, i've done it -- and a lot of others have too -- and didn't have a problem.

a better way to start the siphon is to jam it under the running tap and keep the other lower until it fills, then cover the end under the faucet with you thumb.

i assume you're taking about bottling? in that case the ph of the fermented beer is lowered and that will keep the nasties at bay.

your beer will be fine; it won't affect the taste. but master the art of the faucet fill and you will sleep easier.

I do, but i rinse with vodka first and haven't had a problem. You can also prime the hose with water that way you don't have to suck on it.

I wouldn't do it. It's simple to start a siphon with water. Or, you could use a turkey baster and some tubing. Or even the $3 solution used with a carboy and carboy cap. You may not hurt the beer, but I sure don't want to do any beerswaps with anybody that starts their siphon that way! :D

i still just soak a piece of paper towel in starsan and put it over the end of the hose and suck away.(did i just say i suck?:eek:)

I did it on my first brew because I couldn't figure out how to start the siphon. I didn't have any issues. I wouldn't do it again though.

I'd buy a T and a couple of clamps and make the $3 dollar siphon someone on here designed.

If you're going to a carboy, just hook up the tubing to one of the bungs on the carboy cap and suck out the other one. Thats how i transfer to my primary from the kettle. After siphoning, I just reclean the cap and your mouth never comes in contact with anything important.

If you're going to a bottling bucket, I'd just get an autosiphon. You'll find uses for it all the time.

1)fill a siphon tube with water
2)plug end with finger (make sure its clean and sanitized)
3)make sure end you want the brew to come out of is lower than end inside bottle
4)unplug finger
5)siphon should begin, quickly replug when water is out of tube and dump the water from the bottle, restart again this time only siphoning the brew.

or just buy an autosiphon

If cash is tight and you can't get the thumb thing to work, you can buy a clip for your vinyl hose at lhbs for < $1.00. Put that at the low end of your tube, clamp it, and sanitize it. Then fill the tube with water as before... when you have the free end of the hose in your wort and the clamped end in the fermenter, you just unclamp it and it should start flowing... if not, there is not enough vertical distance between the two or you did not use enough water.
A good thing to do is to practice with a couple jugs of water in your kitchen before you do it with beer or wine. That's how I learned... and have never had any problems. Later, I inherited an autosiphon and admittedly they are awesome and really the best way to go. But if that's not possible you can still make life relatively easy for yourself.

Back