Was hoping for a perfect brew day, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Looks like I goofed it up. I am brewing an extract recipe that called for adding 3 1/2 lbs of LME at 60 minutes and then 6 1/2 lbs at 15 minutes. All was going well until my brain went dead and I started pouring in the remaining 6 1/2 lbs of LME about five minutes into the boil. Stopped myself with about 1 lb left in thte jug.

I know this will still make beer, but what will the consequences be? Low OG? I have a packet of Mr. Beer booster left over from the old days, should I dump that in (I think it's just sugar)?

20 minutes of boil time left, any ideas would be appreciated :confused:

Yah, pretty hard to "screw up" extract.

Water, sugar, boil... you are making beer from concentrate :D

You cant really miss on an extract OG, since you are putting a measured amount of sugar, in a measured amount of water. Should be dead on, every time. AG brewers have the variable that is conversion and lauter efficiency.

all it will do is make the beer a little darker. pretty much it. you might end up with a FG that is .001-.002 higher, MAYBE. but you will have pretty much the same beer.

That would be great news! I am trying my best to brew good beer but right now color is the least of my worries.

Thanks for the quick reply (and good news)!

That would be great news! I am trying my best to brew good beer but right now color is the least of my worries.

Thanks for the quick reply (and good news)!

That's the spirit. Color only matters for competitions, and besides that is only a mental thing.

The only other thing is you will probably have a bit less hop utilization. So if your going for a super hoppy ipa or something it will not be quite as bitter. Otherwise just the color will be slightly darker but a lot of extract recipes have you add all the extract that the start. I just started with the late extract additions on my last two batches and it seems to make a slight difference but I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, besides dumping the 2nd addition of LME in too early, everything else went OK. NO boil overs :ban:, carboy is filled to about 1/2" above the 5 gallon mark with no added water required and the OG is 1.066 (oh, and the sample tastes great - slightly sweet but you can already taste the hops)

All things considered, the best brew day yet! Some day I'll get the hang of this :D

Back