WAS going to do my first lager this weekend...advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was planning on brewing my first lager this weekend, the bohemian pilsener recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I went to mr malty to confirm what starter size I need. OG 1.056, 5gal batch, stirplate starter, but here's the kicker: I have two smack packs of wyeast 2001 Urquell mfg on 27oct08. According to mr malty, that puts it at 10% viability. Is that right? If that's the case, it says I'd need to use a 5300mL starter with SEVEN packs of yeast. Obviously I only have two, and I'd like to keep the starter size at 2000mL.

I could put off the pilsener and brew my american amber. Anyone think the yeast viability is off? Anyone think BMW owes me some fresher yeast? I ordered it on 3/1/09.

wow, that is some old yeast for a march 1st order date. i think i would go with some fresher yeast, and make a two pack starter. no sense in chancing it.

Reply from BMW:
Jon,

I know what you mean by not exactly fresh yeast since it was manufactured on 10/27/08. Although this is a on the older side for liquid yeast it is still fresh. Wyeast gurantees all packages less than 6 months old, and your yeast is just over 4 months old. Once you activate the smack pack the yeast will reproduce. Give the package time to swell (12-18 hours min.) the full 100 Billion Cells they advertise will be in the package, which would be sufficent amount to get a lager starter going strong.

At the same time we are all about customer service, and I want to make you happy, so if you if what I have said does not make you feel better about your yeast please let me know what I can do to make sure that you feel great about your purchase.

Thanks,

Ed

Fair enough from a retailers point of view.....
Slightly off topic- but when I do lagers (All two of them) I went with White Labs and considered Wyeasts' activator pack- not the smack pack...Because even though the White Labs says we can pitch right into the wort, we all get a starter going...And the Activator pack is Supposed to be used with a starter- and then you can get your Uber big starter going, like we often use with lagers to avoid Diactyl (SP- that does not look right) etc.
costaMarine- you gonna do a decoction mash? My second was way easier than my first- and though I've yet to taste the fruits of my labor, I'm really excited by that procedure at the moment....

Nope, I rarely differ from Jamil's advice, and he never does anything but single infusion. And don't worry devil, those numbers aren't lost on me.

Once you activate the smack pack the yeast will reproduce. Give the package time to swell (12-18 hours min.) the full 100 Billion Cells they advertise will be in the package, which would be sufficent amount to get a lager starter going strong.
That's not really enough for a lager....it's actually barely enough for a low gravity ale (relative to proper pitching rates). If it were me I'd put off the lager but would make a big starter pretty soon so that it can ferment to finish and I could decant the liquid. At the very minimum I would pitch both Activator packs.

That's not really enough for a lager....it's actually barely enough for a low gravity ale (relative to proper pitching rates). If it were me I'd put off the lager but would make a big starter pretty soon so that it can ferment to finish and I could decant the liquid. At the very minimum I would pitch both Activator packs.

Yeah, that is severely underpitching for a lager. Underpitching lager yeast to that degree will result in, among other things, lots of esters and phenols which are supremely undesirable in a lager.

Come on guys! 100 billion cells is more than enough to make a STARTER!

D'oh! I feel silly for not reading more closely now. :(

Coastarine, if you want to keep the starter size down to 2L total volume, build up the starter, cold-crash and decant enough times to get the amount of yeast you need. If you're assuming 10% viability, you'll have to this quite a few times. You're only going to get doubling of the cells with each addition.

Well I appreciate the help but you guys aren't telling me anything I don't already know...I guess I'll brew the amber ale this weekend and just keep stepping up a starter to do the lager at a later date.

To put into perspective the amount of yeast actually necessary I looked at how much slurry I should pitch based on mr malty. If the slurry was nearly 100% yeast, which from a starter it would be close, and as thick as it comes, I'd need 875mL of slurry, which is a layer about 1.5" thick in the bottom of my 2000mL flask. That's a whole lot.

To put into perspective the amount of yeast actually necessary I looked at how much slurry I should pitch based on mr malty. If the slurry was nearly 100% yeast, which from a starter it would be close, and as thick as it comes, I'd need 875mL of slurry, which is a layer about 1.5" thick in the bottom of my 2000mL flask. That's a whole lot.

Yep, but you need a whole lot of yeast for a lager, considerably more than an ale of the same OG. That's just a reality of brewing lagers.

Did I accidentally post this in the beginner brewing forum or something?;) I know I said first lager, but I am aware of the need for an elevated pitching rate.:p

Latest posts

Back