Was GIFTED a small Traeger. Any tips and tricks from the crew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never used one. Seems pretty straight forward and simple but I am sure like everything else there are some tips and tricks to working with it properly.

Whatcha' say? Any insight?

Cheers
Jay

Cover the heat deflector in foil for easier cleaning.
Periodically shop-vac out the excess ash as needed.
I've found that on mine, right at the very front and very back (where the heat deflector doesn't cover) is the only place you can really sear, and only when you have it on the upper end of the temp range.

If you've never used a Traeger has someone given you a run-down on the startup sequence?

But yeah, they're pretty foolproof.

Get the Traeger app working on your phone, it's the best and only way to use it effectively.

Don't use it as a grill. It won't get hot enough to sear burgs and steaks.

Out of the box, it won't impress you as a smoker if you've use another smoker. Does not produce much smoke. Look into a smoke tube, like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZRR7XD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TBH, it's not a great device. I have one and use it all the time, and it cooks great, but it's pretty much an outdoor oven. I replaced my weber smokey mountain with it. To get any smoke in my food, I have to use that smoke tube. With the smoke tube, it does produce good meat.

TBH, it's not a great device. I have one and use it all the time, and it cooks great.

I love it. "It's not great. I use it all the time." 😂

That said, I do agree. It's nothing special, but it's convenient. It's good for a quick cook when I don't want to mess with lighting either of the kamados. It doesn't sear much at all--although as mentioned mine hot spots right at the very front and back and I can get a LITTLE there. As a smoker, I prefer the kamado as well.

But on a weeknight if it's something quick, I use mine quite a bit too.

And I actually like it a lot for steak. I fire up the smaller of the Kamado Joe grills I have to get a hard sear, and then put it on 225 in the Traeger to come the rest of the way up to temp. As @passedpawn says, at that point it's a wood-fired oven, not a grill. But that's a good way to finish a steak after it has already been seared. (Likewise you could go the opposite way if you're into the reverse sear method.)

Cover the heat deflector in foil for easier cleaning.
Periodically shop-vac out the excess ash as needed.
I've found that on mine, right at the very front and very back (where the heat deflector doesn't cover) is the only place you can really sear, and only when you have it on the upper end of the temp range.

If you've never used a Traeger has someone given you a run-down on the startup sequence?

But yeah, they're pretty foolproof.
Start up? Like light it on the smoke function and let it stay open for about 10 min? Or is there something else?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Get the Traeger app working on your phone, it's the best and only way to use it effectively.

Don't use it as a grill. It won't get hot enough to sear burgs and steaks.

Out of the box, it won't impress you as a smoker if you've use another smoker. Does not produce much smoke. Look into a smoke tube, like this: Amazon.com : LIZZQ Premium Pellet Smoker Tube 12 inches - 5 Hours of Billowing Smoke - for Any Grill or Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking - An Easy and Safe Way to Provide Smoking - Free eBook Grilling Ideas and Recipes : Patio, Lawn & Garden

TBH, it's not a great device. I have one and use it all the time, and it cooks great, but it's pretty much an outdoor oven. I replaced my weber smokey mountain with it. To get any smoke in my food, I have to use that smoke tube. With the smoke tube, it does produce good meat.
I think I can make one of those :)
Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
Jay

I like the reverse sear method. Seems to get more smoke flavor when I have the steak on the smoker first, get the IT to 125 then hit the sear. Comes out with a perfect medium rare edge to edge.

I also heat up with lid closed.

PelletFan.com Is a great site with all things pellet grills.

I think I can make one of those :)
Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
Jay
I think they all lack a lid, which means a couple of things:
1: you stand it on end, fill it, light it, let it burn for 5 minutes. If it tips over, your X is now on fire. Fill in the X.
2: When it's good and hot, blow out the flame and lay it sideways inside your grill. Watch the pellets at the top of the tube cascade out of the tube.

So, if you want to make one that is better, add a lid of some kind. Maybe hinged, or just a snap-on, etc. I'd hit that!

Last edited:
Cooking bacon on a pellet grill is also outstanding. Stuff a date with an almond sliver and blue cheese, wrap with bacon and tooth pick to hold closed, cooked at 225 on the pellet pit also a great app. So many thing to do with pellet cookers besides the normal ribs, pork butt, brisket etc.

I think they all lack a lid, which means a couple of things:
1: you stand it on end, fill it, light it, let it burn for 5 minutes. If it tips over, your X is now on fire. Fill in the X.
2: When it's good and hot, blow out the flame and lay it sideways inside your grill. Watch the pellets at the top of the tube cascade out of the tube.

So, if you want to make one that is better, add a lid of some kind. Maybe hinged, or just a snap-on, etc. I'd hit that!
Yeah I was looking at those and thinking the same thing. Simple stuff to make is closeable. Once I have an opportunity to make one I'll post up a picture.

Cheers
Jay

Vacuum out the ash in the firepot after about every 15hrs of cooking. Some pellets create more ash than others and too much ash will make it turn off in the middle of a cook.

Costco for a huge roll of heavy-duty foil, a stack of disposable aluminum pans, large container of Pork Barrel dry rub. Don’t be shy about getting a good bbq recipe book for ideas to cook, I'd recommend Southern Living Ultimate Book of BBQ cookbook

For cold weather grilling, don't be fooled into buying the expensive insulated cover. Just buy a welding blanket and some magnets to hold it in place

Enjoy the process. And takes notes on what worked and what didn’t.

Last edited:
Not mutually exclusive, brother. Sometimes that EZ-Bake is convenient 😂

PXL_20221018_194217890.jpg

I have never used one. Seems pretty straight forward and simple but I am sure like everything else there are some tips and tricks to working with it properly.

Whatcha' say? Any insight?

Cheers
Jay
Find a way to hook it up to a keg and experiment with adding smoke to a beer. /s

Back