Warrior hops - clean for bittering, awful for flavor/aroma additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
I bought some closeout hops - 5 bucks per pound of Warrior. I bought two pounds and figured if nothing else I'd use it for my bittering addition for my next 32 beers. But is it worth a damn for dry hopping? After reading some reviews about it being astringent and gross for late boil flavor additions I'm pretty sure I don't want to attempt that. But I like the smell of it, and I wonder how the aroma/flavor of the final beer would be if I dry hopped with it? Anyone attempted this?

Get some Amstel Light or other light, neutral beer with a pry off cap. Shove a few cones or pellets into a couple bottles, re-cap, store them in the fridge for a couple days and give em a taste.

i have a pound of warrior from a similar sale situation, and was wondering the same thing. Please report back on the great suggestion above if you try it.

I did a brew last year (twice) with Bravo as the bittering hop, Warrior as the late addition and Citra for the dry hop. I really enjoyed those beers.

The first batch:
Bravo - 60 min
Warrior - 5 mins
Citra - Dry Hop

The second batch:
Bravo - 60 min
Warrior - 20 & 5 mins
Citra - Dry Hop

I also did a Warrior and Sorachi Ace beer. That one was ok but not my favorite.

Batch:
Warrior - FWH, 30 & 15 mins
Sorachi Ace - 10 min, Whirlpool & Dry Hop

I hope this helps.

I feel like maybe the amount you add in late additions may be what's crucial here. Since it's a strong 17 AAU hop I feel like you could massively overdo it pretty easily. Another thing I might also do is wait until I've got like a gallon of an IPA left in the keg, and then throw a few ounces into the keg and see how it changes the flavor profile of it. Or brew a lager or pilsner and see how it goes with that.

My house pale ale is named 'Green Warrior' due to the hops used. Green Bullet is the main aroma and flavor hop but, in addition to bittering, I use a couple of ounces of Warrior late and dry hop with a mix of the two. It has subtle character but quite pleasant. Not as overt as other varieties but Warrior is very versatile.

Another thing I might also do is wait until I've got like a gallon of an IPA left in the keg, and then throw a few ounces into the keg and see how it changes the flavor profile of it. Or brew a lager or pilsner and see how it goes with that.
I was going to suggest something very similar. Brew an IPA, say 6 gallons. let primary ferm do its thing and then take 1 gallon and secondary/dry hop with the warrior. dry hop/keg as usual with the other 5 gallons. bottle the 1 gallon after dry hop is done.

I brewed a brett pale ale once. I let it rock in primary, then I split it up 4 ways and dry hopped with 4 different hops and I truly learned how much dry hopping can change the aroma and taste characteristic.

IMO the only way to know if you like it or not is to brew with it! I do like JonM's suggestion though; seems like it could at least give you some sort of rough estimate of what to expect.

My house pale ale is named 'Green Warrior' due to the hops used. Green Bullet is the main aroma and flavor hop but, in addition to bittering, I use a couple of ounces of Warrior late and dry hop with a mix of the two. It has subtle character but quite pleasant. Not as overt as other varieties but Warrior is very versatile.

Well that's encouraging. If a couple of ounces late in the boil and in the dry hop works out pretty well there then it makes me think that maybe it's worth investigating. I have so much of it that I might as well!

Well that's encouraging. If a couple of ounces late in the boil and in the dry hop works out pretty well there then it makes me think that maybe it's worth investigating. I have so much of it that I might as well!

I think you will be pleased with it, but do use another variety as Warrior has trouble on its own. My pantry will always have some!

Back