WARNING-Bad Worm/Virus Via E-mail Contact List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I just got this from the wife, let people know what it is up.

'HUGE VIRUS COMING!!! PLEASE READ & FORWARD

Hi All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!
I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!! snopes.com: 'Hallmark Postcard from a Family Member' virus

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someonewho has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately .

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT
TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US '

Well, maybe not, but everyone should check their machines for the conficker virus, AKA downadup. Is pretty prevalent, and supposed to possibly carry a payload for April Fools day. (April 1st.)

I have a colleague that mistakenly downloaded the Hallmark virus. Wiped her comp clean as a whistle. Hoax or not, I will keep my eyes out.

Yeah I would be much more worried about Conficker if I were you. The security team here have been generating a lot of e-mail about it and seems like they are worried. Although we have a million or so customers that could be potentially be infected.

I just wish I had the 1st off. :p

Fortunately, I am absolutely certain that any email claiming to be from my family is spam. But just to be safe, I never access email with a winduhs machine.

I don't access my email with anything but a tin hat. I'm afraid the virii will hack into my brain. :D

Srsly. I posted on here a bit ago about my run in with a virus, I run Debian Linux as my primary OS now and I locked it down. HARD.

Back