Warming up fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comj49

Reaction score
Since I do not have a cooler basement, and at this time of the year (in Mich), the only place I can keep my carboy is inside my home. I would like to avoid any problems with temperature and/or leaks, etc.. Has anyone used a garage that stays typically 45-55 degrees? I am just starting to brew my own, and i see myself doing alot of ales. I know it is too cold for the ale yeast, so has anyone seen or know of a heater that can be used to heat my wort to the proper temp in a cold place such as a garage? This will not be a problem in a couple of months since the overall temp will rise, hopefully soon, but i would love to be able to brew 12 months of the year.

any help would be appreciated!!

I use a seed starting grow mat and temp controller. I've heard good things about the fermwrap, its just I already had the grow mat.

GT

If you have a big Rubbermaid tub or a cooler that is large enough to fit your fermenter, then just fill it with water and use an aquarium heater to keep it at the temperature you desire. The nice thing about aquarium heaters is that they are inexpensive and they have relatively precise temperature control built right in. The nice thing about fermenting in a big tub of water is that it is hard to get it to fluctuate much in temperature (lots of thermal mass), plus it does a great job at regulating the temperature inside the carboy/fermenter. The temps inside a fermenter can vary many degrees, depending on the degree of activity of fermentation (it can generate a lot of heat), but a water bath will essentially 'wick away' that endogenous heat.

Latest posts

Back