Warmest freezer temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeerman

Reaction score
Hi I just picked up a 14 CU foot standup freezer. I also ordered an stc-1000. I want to use this mainly for fermenting. My basement in the summer runs around 74 degrees.

So can i force the freezer to stay in the low to mid 60s? Can freezers run this warm?

Thanks.

Jbeerman

:rockin:

Yes, Temp controllers like the STC1000 once wired up work by controlling power to the freezer.

So instead of the freezer running for 2 hours to get down to -20F, the STC will turn it on until it hits 65, then cut power to it. This obviously has consequences in that its turning on and off more, which burns out the condensor faster than normal, so just make sure when you setup your STC-1000 that you set the delay(i believe its F3 in the settings) to 10 Minutes..

This prevents the STC1000 from turning on and off too quickly.

Thanks for the replies. That is what I was hoping was the case.

Hi I just picked up a 14 CU foot standup freezer. I also ordered an stc-1000. I want to use this mainly for fermenting. My basement in the summer runs around 74 degrees.

So can i force the freezer to stay in the low to mid 60s? Can freezers run this warm?

Thanks.

Jbeerman

:rockin:

If you wire the heating side of the STC-1000 as well you can heat and cool in the same freezer, helpful for those of us with 40F basements in winter:

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-101-Personal-Heater-White/dp/B005Q1APZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1403653234&sr=1-1&keywords=lasko+my+heat

Last edited by a moderator:
Back