Warm Up My Lager?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Making a Brewhouse Oktoberfest kit using Wyeast 2633. Made about a four litre starter using wort from the kit (yes, with the water and ph balancer added) and put it on my stir plate at 50 degrees for four days. Didn't see much in terms of yeast growth (like I would with an ale) but figured that could be normal. The starter was 1.050 when I pitched it (didn't record the OG of the wort) a week ago at 50 degrees. My guess is that I didn't have enough yeast growth and as a result quite likely under-pitched.

No action in the airlock for a couple of days so I bumped the temp to 54. It's been bubbling away but has slowed down; SG last night was 1.035. I've been toying with the idea of getting it warm up to around room temperature to prevent stuck fermentation. I guess I could wait and see where it ends up and if it does get stuck I could add the packet of Coopers that came with the kit at a slightly warmer temperature.

Planning to go through the rest of the lagering procedure properly when fermentation is done. Just wondering whether I should warm it up now in the hopes that it will ferment out properly or wait to see what happens and add more yeast if I get stuck.

rhoadsrage

Reaction score
I make my starters are room temp. for every type of yeast, then chill in the fridge for a day and pour off the beer. 1.050 gravity is pretty big for a starter. Usually yeast are happiest under 1.030. There is an article from the maltose falcons about making starters that is really helpful. I would wait and see and after a week five the carboy a swirl to get more of the yeast up off the bottom and put them to work.

Good luck.