Warm fermentation beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
Do you know of any beer styles/recipes that will handle fermentation temps in the 75-78F range? Someone suggested saisons as one choice. Can you suggest others?

I know there are plenty of gizmos and techniques to create cooler temps. What I am trying to learn here is if I can work with Nature instead of trying to overcome her.

I have had great results brewing variations of a Belgian golden ale at higher temps. I have used Wyeast 3522, 1762, and 3711 at temps around 78 degrees. In an effort to keep things simple I brew with these yeasts in the summer when my basement is warmer, that way I do not have to go to great lengths to keep ferm temps down.

Be careful with 1762. That yeast needs to be kept cool for the first part of the fermentation or it will produce fusels. I would not suggest that one if you cannot keep the brew cool for the first few days. 3522 is a little more tolerant of higgher ferment temps at the beginning but still it is better to keep the temp cooler for the first few days

3711 is the most forgiving of those that you mentioned.

Thanks for mentioning keeping the fermentation cooler at first. I forgot to mention that earlier. I usually chill the wort to around 60-62f, pitch yeast, and let nature take course.

Latest posts

Back