Ward Labs Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masskrug

Reaction score
I will be sending a sample to Ward Labs next week. Do I send a sample with Campden in it that has sat overnight(like the water I would use to make beer with) or just out of the tap?

Thanks for your help.

Just out of the tap. They should provide directions on how to obtain a sample.

If Campden tablets are used there is no need to let the water stand - the reaction is complete in seconds.

If Campden tablets are used there is no need to let the water stand - the reaction is complete in seconds.

Oh? That is good to know. I thought the water had to sit to let the chlorine "evaporate."

If the water contains just chlorine then standing overnight will usually allow the chlorine to escape. If the volume of water is huge (commercial brewing scale) then some agitation or sparging with air may be necessary. If the utility uses chloramine (chlorine chemically bound with ammonia) then standing still works but it takes much longer (a week perhaps) for it all to dissipate. When Campden tablets are used both free chlorine and chloramine (some free chlorine is usually found where chloramine is used) are converted to chloride ion which is not harmful to beer. In fact, it is beneficial in most cases. The conversion to chloride takes place quickly.

Back