wanting to make a Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosco_NJ

Reaction score
I'm really into malty hoppy ales (Lagunitas Imperial Red, Legacy Hedonism Red, Green Flash Hop Head Red, Flying Dog Double Dog, Bear Republic Red Rocket & Hop Rod Rye) I looked through the recipes here but it seems the majority are AG. I'm looking for a PM or extract recipe. I would also like it to be between 6%-8% abv. and fairly high IBU's. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bosco

Jamil has a recipe in the American Amber section of his "Brewing Classic Styles" book called "West Coast Blaster" that is very close to Red Rocket. I don't have the recipe handy but I'd recommend purchasing the book anyway since it's full of great recipes that are extract as well as all-grain.

make an ipa with a pound or two of munich and small amounts of special b, crystal 120, and roasted barley. then just hop the hell out of it. it'll come out tasty and nice and red.

something like this for the grain bill (partial mash):

2 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs 2-row
4 oz Special B
2 oz Crystal 120
2 oz Roasted Barley

add 5 lbs of Dry Malt extract and you're good to go.

Thanks for the replys. I'll try and play around with your suggestion on that grain bill and check out that book.

I just checked out your post on that recipe and thought it sounded pretty intresting. especially since i'm a big fan of that beer anyway.

Here is an IPA like Red Ale I made a while back
Picture2.png

I think the malt bill would work for what you are looking for, a nice deep red color with a nice caramel presence with a slight touch of roast.

Hop it with about 60IBUs of preferably late hops of any American variety you have or can find and dry hop with 1-2oz of the same, and I think you will have exactly what you are looking for.

dang... an IPA with no hops boiled longer than 20 minutes??? I m assuming you are boiling the wort for 60 minutes to drop your wort volume down to 5 gallons?

Back