Wanting to make a big belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of making a big belgium and hoping you can help me out with a good recipie. Only wishes are a partial mash. I made a MLT out of an Igloo and can mash 7-9lbs of grain and I use DME not LME. Also I'm interested in using a liquid yeast (first time). Any ideas would be great.

Thank you in advance
peter aka beeropolis

Ahh, too many good ones to pick from. How about Gulden Draak? 2.5# 2 row, 14 oz 65 German crystal, 4 oz aromatic, 3 oz cara-munich, 2 oz biscuit, 11# DME, 1# wheat DME, 1/2 # clear candi sugar, 1 oz brewers gold (bittering), 1/4 oz styrian goldings (flavor), Wyeast 1388.

I've made it a few times and it comes in around 10% or so. You need to be extremely patient when making a huge Belgian brew and pitch an enormous amount of yeast. Making a gallon starter and pitching the sediment isn't too much.

I brewed a tripel which is very similar to the tripel presented in Radical Brewing:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/triple-six-tripel-77023/

It's still in secondary, and will be bottled next weekend, so I can't say if it's any good, but it is the best tasting, clearest wort I've ever made, and it smells divine in the secondary, all good signs. ;)

Back