Wanting to brew a braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildseedgrrrl

Reaction score
Last year I tried making a small batch and ended up with highly alcoholic and well not great results. Here's a tentative recipe I have. I've made mead and wine and I brew beer but this braggot is a new experience for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 lbs. Wheat Malt
1 lbs. Oats Flaked
6 lbs. Honey (half of the honey at the beginning and the last half in the last 15 minutes of the boil)
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
1 oz. Willamette (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 minutes.
.5 oz. Willamette (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 10 minutes.
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Yeast: WYeast 1028 London Ale

I haven't made a braggot yet, but from the reading that I've done on one, I think you need about 40% barley to about 60% honey. I haven't seen a recipe with wheat malt thrown in. Interesting twist.

I was considering doing a partial mash for the smaller portion malts and the bulk with honey but I want to be sure to hit my target, so this was going to be an extract. Also, my kitchen is not totally conducive to doing partial mashes and the weather is too iffy to be outside using the burners.

I used wheat malt for the first batch because it was the only malt I had on the shelf that wasn't earmarked for something else. It turned out just fine. It was really dark and strong and next to no hop bitterness. I was able to drink it about 3 months after making it. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. I figure after a year it should be pretty tasty.

Back