wanting info about kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slindsay-1

Reaction score
I currently bottle all of my beer and want to start kegging. I found 2 different types of kegs, ball and pin lock, i dont know what the difference is between the two. Is one better than the other for home brew, are parts and seals easy to find for both of them? Any help would be great, they seem to be around the same price range, also would i be better of buying new rather than used? Thanks!

Pin locks are usually a little less expensive than ball locks. I THINK only ball locks have a pressure relief valve. I THINK all ball locks are smaller in diameter than pin locks (fits easier in fridges/chest freezers).

The parts are pretty easy to find for both. I used ball lock because that's what I was able to find the cheapest. Pin locks are two inches shorter and one inch wider in diameter than ball locks. IMO, I'd say go with what's cheapest. Best of luck!

The pressure relief valve is on the lid so all you would need to do is buy a new lid if you wanted one. I got ball lock kegs that did not have the pressure relief valve so I just bought new lids.

gcdowd said:
The pressure relief valve is on the lid so all you would need to do is buy a new lid if you wanted one. I got ball lock kegs that did not have the pressure relief valve so I just bought new lids.

Good point. You can find lids for $5 on eBay.

i have ball lock kegs. They do come in different sizes. The big difference is how the connectors attach to keg. Pin locks are a quater twist to attach. The ball lock have a collar you would pull up to attach. The ball lock can be twisted around to ease in locating lines in a fridge or dedicated keezer. Kegs can be converted either way. Most use the ball lock method

henryred said:
i have ball lock kegs. They do come in different sizes. The big difference is how the connectors attach to keg. Pin locks are a quater twist to attach. The ball lock have a collar you would pull up to attach. The ball lock can be twisted around to ease in locating lines in a fridge or dedicated keezer. Kegs can be converted either way. Most use the ball lock method

This is really the only difference. It's all about the post connections. That's pretty much it.

and cornykeg.com sells a replacement lid w/ relief valve for less than the cost of a relief valve at most websites.

But, unless you are worrying about exceeding 130psi -- that is to say that you are only concerned about 'burping' the keg -- you can just shorten the gas dip tube to about 5/8" long with a pipe cutter or just a razor saw or dremel tool or whatever, and use the $3 plastic dingus that helps you release pressure through the gas post.

Where beer is concerned, the gas dip tube is just there to hold the o-ring in place.

The idea here is that co2 is heavier than plain old o2. If you don't shorten the dip tube, 'burping' the keg through the gas post to remove oxygen may be less effective than it was on a keg with a manual pressure relief on the lid.

Also, it means that you are far less likely to have beer come spraying out of the keg when you release pressure through the gas post.

Back