Wanted: Recipe for Yuengling Black & Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's where I got it from. I actually have a case of this sitting in my basement. It has been there for a couple years, wonder if it's still good.

They blend the Porter and the "Premium Beer" and then bottle.

You'd need to clone the Porter and the Lager and then blend yourself.

Black & Tan combines our popular Dark Brewed Porter and Premium Beer to create a brew that is rich and dark in color, with a well balanced flavor that finishes smooth and satisfying.

I know what it is, do guys think Yuengling actually blends two beers verses making something in the middle?

Its one thing to make them in bar, but at the brewery?

I could take two recipes one for a porter and one for a premium and combine the hops & malts and use a neutral yeast. There you have it...

I didn't think it was blended....

...maybe.:confused:

EDIT: Its blended!!!!

From their FAQ page.

When were Black & Tan, Lager, and Light introduced?
Black & Tan was originally introduced by combining our Porter and Chesterfield Ale. This was called Half and Half. Around 1986 our Brewmaster felt that 60% Porter and 40% Premium was a much better blend and started producing Black & Tan. Lager, an old recipe that we have re-introduced, was re-produced in 1987. Yuengling Light was first brewed in 1986.

From their FAQ page.

When were Black & Tan, Lager, and Light introduced?
Black & Tan was originally introduced by combining our Porter and Chesterfield Ale. This was called Half and Half. Around 1986 our Brewmaster felt that 60% Porter and 40% Premium was a much better blend and started producing Black & Tan. Lager, an old recipe that we have re-introduced, was re-produced in 1987. Yuengling Light was first brewed in 1986.

OK - Thanks. I looked at that earlier and said duh to myself.

One would think that you could combine the grain bill & hops of these two beers you could get something similar. Getting the hops right would be harder though.

I think you will be better off brewing the two different beers and then blending them together. Blending beers in secondary isn't really that big of a deal. I have had to do it in the past to salvage the batch if I an way off on my gravity. BMC guys blend beer all the time, it's how they keep things consistent.

I have a clone brew book that has a Yuengling POrter recipe
I could get it to you if you want it

Annapolis home brew has a couple of kits (extract, partial and all grain), they do not give the grain and hop bills tho.

Have brewed the PA lager twice. first time the steeping grains and the second a partial mash. It is close to Yuengling lager not exact but it is very good. Half & Half/Black & Tan from what I remember is historically an ale and a lager blended together (although Yuengling does use their Premium and not the amber lager) so they need to be brewed separately. Have not brewed the porter yet.

Item #71591a
Pennsylvania Lager
Style: Historic American Lager 3.6% alcohol by wt. / 4.5% alcohol by vol. color: golden amber

Do you like Yuengling Lager? We developed Pennsylvania Lager in response to the incredible rise in popularity of this historic microbrew. This recipe has more color and flavor than the beers from the big American megabreweries. We use a special combination of barley malt extract, rice, and premium hops to make this recipe. While this is a great beer all by itself, you can brew Pennsylvania Lager and Pennsylvania Porter to combine them in the glass for authentic Black & Tan.

OK - Post it here.

this is from the clone brews book
hop schedule is from extract recipe
you are supposed to add 27% less or or a total of 4HBU's for
the bittering hops when doing all grain (don't ask me to explain it cause I haven't figured it out yet myself)
never brewed it so don't know if it's any good
I guess they use lager yeast in their porters

Yuengling Porter
7.75 lbs US 2 row
.75 lbs flaked corn
.5 lbs oat hulls
.5 lbs 80L crystal
6 oz. black patent
.5 oz cluster 6%aa @ 60
.5 oz cascade5%aa @ 60
.5 oz cascade @ 45
wyeast 2308