Wanted : Killer Belgian Wit Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Let me know what has been successful for you. Looking for something with quite a bit of citrus to appeal to the non-beer drinkers. Maybe like an Oberon (none of the recipes on here i found for Oberon don't seem to be close for a lack of citrus zest or orange peel)

Let me know what has been successful for you. Looking for something with quite a bit of citrus to appeal to the non-beer drinkers. Maybe like an Oberon (none of the recipes on here i found for Oberon seem to be close for a lack of citrus zest or orange peel)

Oberon is not a wit, it's an American pale wheat. Strong citrus tones are much more appropriate in those beers--maybe look for recipes in that category?

The top wits usually pick up a little bitter orange peel and some "refreshing/breezy" coriander taste that's often conflated with citrus, but don't have a lot of true citrus on their own.

touche. still, most oberon recipes on here do not seem to have enough citrus in them.

So if you have a good american wheat/ american pale wheat/ or a citrusy beligum wit, let me know.

+ one on HG's Lady in white! Another local homebrewer made a favorable comparison of my Wit and New Belgian's Mothership Wit which has just been introduced in N.C. I fermented @ 72*

My first batch ing gone :(, but I'm brewing up another mini-mash of it next week :)

Did this based off the Pope's recipe from BYO...rather than orange zest, I zested a couple oranges, tangerines and a grapefruit. It came out really nice and citrusy. With the chamomile, it ass a nice flowery apple thing that fits in well between the yeast esters & phenols and the citrus elements:

16-A Witbier
Size: 5.43 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 76.0%
Calories: 161.31 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.049 (1.044 - 1.052)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.008 - 1.012)
Color: 3.97 (2.0 - 4.0)
Alcohol: 4.84% (4.5% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 18.6 (10.0 - 20.0)

Ingredients:
4.9 lb Pilsen Malt