[Wanted] : Beerlao Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maztec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a Beerlao clone recipe?

From Wikipedia - it is a Jasmine Rice beer done with German Hops and Yeast. I am unsure if I have actually had this somewhere or not, but was curious as to the recipe and thinking it might be a fun beer to make.

Thanks! :)

Let's see, it's a rice lager. The most common beer available in the entire world. How about this: 70% 6row 30% jasmine rice. Very little hops, an american lager yeast (maybe that coors yeast wyeast has out, or a german pils strain) and age it in beechwood. :D

Let's see, it's a rice lager. The most common beer available in the entire world. How about this: 70% 6row 30% jasmine rice. Very little hops, an american lager yeast (maybe that coors yeast wyeast has out, or a german pils strain) and age it in beechwood. :D

So, you put it in this category:

“This is very much one of the international-style pilsners that happens to be brewed in exotic locations,” he said. “Fizzy yellow beers tend to be all the same.”

;)

Indeed. I'd be interested as to how much using jasmine rice changes it, but I would wager it's not all that much.

I imagine that it might change it a little bit, but not much. On the other hand, if you put the jasmine rice into the secondary, it could add some interesting flavors.

Now, wild long rice, that could be interesting....

yeah wild rice is a different story. I would say definitely go for that.

I think it would depend on the type of rice. Some types of rice have a floral perfume to them. I suspect that perfume would come off in the secondary, but would burn away in the mash or boil.

Back