Want to try BIAB Koelsch recipie (2 gallon)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varroa

Reaction score
Hey Everybody, I have a few partial extract brews under my belt now and the weather up here is getting too cold to brew outside SO I was thinking of doing a small scale koelsch BIAB recipie. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this or what the recipie would be. Can anybody give me some input? I also have beersmith but I am not familiar with using it yet. I do however understand how to ferment/lager this beer (which is why I am only doing a 2 gallon batch so I can fit it into my fridge once the primary fermentation is complete).

Thanks.

Ok, I figured out beersmith, entered a recipie and scaled it to 2 Gallons, how does it look for BIAB?

Recipe: Kolsch 2 gallon
Style: Kolsch
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.00 gal
Boil Size: 0.64 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated IBU: 7.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 95.24 %
0.20 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.80 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
0.20 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.5 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.20 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 5.25 qt of water at 163.1 F 150.0 F

Boil Size: 0.64 gal
?

I'd up the boil volume so that you can boil for a full 75-90 minutes. You'll get quite a bit of DMS out of Pilsner malt that you need to evaporate off.

rant edit: After spending a moderate amount of time in Köln about 10 years ago. And drinking a lot of Früh Kölch and Dom Kölch. (IIRC the PJ Früh brewery was only a few blocks from the train station or cathedral) I feel obligated to tell you that there is no "e" in Kölsch.[/end rant]

?

I'd up the boil volume so that you can boil for a full 75-90 minutes. You'll get quite a bit of DMS out of Pilsner malt that you need to evaporate off.

I was just posting what beersmith provided when I entered a 5 gallon recipe and had it down-scale it to a 2 gallon batch.

Also, you are correct on spelling :cross:

Nobody else has any input on the boil size? Did I do something wrong on beersmith when I did the scaling from 5gallon to 2 gallon? Thanks

Edit: I think I found the problem:

In BeerSmith, you can do this by choosing a single infusion, no mash out mash profile and then setting the first mash step volume (choose details next to the mash profile, then double click on the first step) equal to your boil volume.

I forgot to set the mash volume to my boil volume. I will correct this tonight.

Back