want to try a pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenM

Reaction score
Ok, so I have 4 5 gallon carboys full of mead aging away. I have been asking friends and neighbors, what is their favorite pie and jam, to get new ideas. I buddy of mine says he likes grape jelly. I assume it is a concord grape jelly. I want to try a 1 gallon batch of a pyment (thinking of concord juice as my base). Has anyone tried this and did it turn out good enough? Or is it so bad that I need to use a grape puree from a wine shop? Any tried a true recepies that anyone is willing to give up? Thanks for all the help.

Ec1118 strips flavour from whatever your fermenting. I have used it for a cider, then used ale yeast for a similar cider and the difference was huge.

Right now I'm using kv1116, lalvin d47 and 1122, which I have heard all leave much better flavour.

I'm making a concord pyment right now that is coming along nicely, but its not done, so can't give you any input.

Bluespark said:
Ec1118 strips flavour from whatever your fermenting. I have used it for a cider, then used ale yeast for a similar cider and the difference was huge.

Right now I'm using kv1116, lalvin d47 and 1122, which I have heard all leave much better flavour.

I'm making a concord pyment right now that is coming along nicely, but its not done, so can't give you any input.

Oh, I wish I knew that before putting in my first mead about an hour ago. Oh well, I had it laying around. Anything to fix that?

Oh, I wish I knew that before putting in my first mead about an hour ago. Oh well, I had it laying around. Anything to fix that?

No not really. With 1118 it may just take more aging before the mead really starts to shine but there are some on this site that have traditional meads made with 1118 and they love them. Just took a long bit of aging. (18+ months)

Arpolis said:
No not really. With 1118 it may just take more aging before the mead really starts to shine but there are some on this site that have traditional meads made with 1118 and they love them. Just took a long bit of aging. (18+ months)

I guess I can deal with that. I only a 1 gallon batch, mainly out of boredom

i'll give that welches receipe a try. Thanks everybody. I too use 1116 and d47 on my meads. On ciders I normally use an ale yeast. I would use a wine yeast if making a german apfelvine. I have been thinking of using a belgian ale yeast or a hefeweitzen yeast on a cider. Not sure though, we'll see. I have apfelwine, perry, oaked cyser, and a cherry cyser bottled. In carboys I have a blueberry mead, traditional mead, graff, and another cyser started. Was thinking of starting the pyment, and next 5 gallon carboy open might turn into a strawberry rhubarb. Alot in carboys, not enough bottled and aged enough yet. I need to start keeping bees. The honey prices are absurd.

Back