Want To Start Second Batch..But....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fornstar

Reaction score
So I have brewed one batch that is still in the primary and am itching to start another. My first batch has been in the primary for one week and still bubbling pretty good. I know I know, bubbles are a bad way to judge. I am not planning on removing it right now. I do plan on racking to a secondary when the time comes though.

I received this kit fro Christmas..
http://http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3316

So I have on batch in the primary.
I have 2 five gallon BBs just sitting.
One BB will be for secondary.

Can I use a 5 gallon BB as a primary for a 5 gallon batch. I have a 3 piece airlock which I can attach a blow off tube too. My question is how much Krauzen would over flow? I keep my first batch in a coat closet so this is where I would keep the second one. I dont want to coats to smell like krauzen, if it even smells, not sure.

I guess what I am worried about is the overflow and the smell. Not worried about making a mess. I figured putting the blow off hose into a jar or glass filled with sanitized water and placing that into a bucket would eliminate the mess. I am not eve sure it would make any mess with over flow anyway. I guess that is why I am posting this.

Starting to ramble, been drinking a growler of IPA from a local brewery I tried today:mug:

Thanks for the help..

Matt

I've actually been mulling over the idea of fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy with a blow off tube. Allowing the byproducts to escape used to be considered a good idea.

I've actually been mulling over the idea of fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy with a blow off tube. Allowing the byproducts to escape used to be considered a good idea.

There is not much headspace even with a blowoff tube. I would caution against using a 5 gallon anything as the primary fermenter.

My first batch has been in the primary for one week and still bubbling pretty good.

You can probably get away with racking this to your BB and starting on your next batch.

Most people wouldn't recommend that, as even a small amount of krausening will overflow. You MAY have some success using Fermcap to keep it down - but simply being patient may pay off more. Or purchasing another primary bucket.

With 2 better bottles I would recommend getting a second brewing bucket with a 6-6.5 gallon capacity for your next brew. Thus, with 2 buckets you can use each of your BB as secondaries if needed by the recipes. Buckets are too much money at $12-$15. This will give you 2 set-ups so you can start multiple batches spaced apart by 2 or more weeks. The other advantage of using the larger bucket as a primary is that they are easier to clean than the BB.

Just FYI

Thanks for the info. I will just wait until I can get to the LHBS to get another bucket.

You could also get a bucket at Home Depot or Lowe's, and just drill the hole in the lid yourself, if the LHBS isn't that convenient.

...Unless you have to go to the LHBS for the ingredients anyways. In which case, ignore me.

LHBS is not out of the way. Was there today for the first time. For primary buckets all they have is 5gal. I thought that was wierd. There are a couple others here in San Diego. I live in North County so as far as I know we have one. I am headed to a friends house tomorrow to watch the Chargers game and will check the LHBS down there.

Matt

There is not much headspace even with a blowoff tube.

You got it, might even say zero headspace and that's what I'm going for. I want as much of the fermentation byproducts to blow out instead of dropping back in the beer.

There is not much headspace even with a blowoff tube. I would caution against using a 5 gallon anything as the primary fermenter.

You can probably get away with racking this to your BB and starting on your next batch.

Wouldnt one week in the primary be a little early to rack to a secondary? I am new to this and not sure.

Matt

I've been brewing for a about three years with the same five gallon carboy. Before I started controlling fermentation temps I had blowoffs almost every brew. Now that I am controlling the fermentation temps my blowoffs are infrequent.

You can make good beer with a five gallon primary!

Back