want to start brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

immcpat

Reaction score
Hi im just starting to home brew i haven't purchased anything yet. I went to get as much input as possible before hand. I would like to keep everything to around $150 but I'm flexible. I have a book that I've been reading so i have a basic idea to everything. I also looked in to kegging because it looks like it's less of a hassle then bottling. Also if anyone can give me any good websites to purchase everything and any good recipes for darker beers. Thank you very much.

Which book ya reading? I highly suggest How to Brew by John Palmer and welcome to a new addiction. I started off with a starter kit that my local brew show was selling and a basic recipe. I had a couple of friends who walked me through the steps of brewing and I also took a class at the brew shop.

$150 != kegging. You won't get away with kegging for less than ~$600. Sounds great, but it's a huge investment. You should see if you like the hobby before commiting that kind of cash. What kind of stove access do you have?

Here is the online version of John Palmer's book, its free: How to Brew.
The book is an easy read and does a good job explaining the basics in a coherent way.

$150 will cover a starter equipment kit, a cheap 12qt pot, and your first ingredient kit. Kegging is going to take you way over your budget, and if your main issue is space, kegging will not save you a TON of space compared to bottles.

Welcome to the obsession

Shop Craigslist for your equipment. I got a kegerator with co2 tank, the works for $150. All I had to do was clean it and fill the tank.

I'm reading dave miller's home brewing guide. I have access to an electric stove but im not sure home powerful it is. And i think it looks like im bottling for now.

I'm reading dave miller's home brewing guide. I have access to an electric stove but im not sure home powerful it is. And i think it looks like im bottling for now.

I would recommend starting with extract kits using a 12qt pot. Even a wimpy electric stove can boil 2 gallons of water.

What part of NY are you in? I just threw out a case of bottles but can hook you up with a case to get you started. As a newbie with a small budget you have to start with bottling and grow into kegging. Buying brand new kegging equipment costs a lot of money, finding cheap stuff on CL takes time.

homebrewers.com has a pretty good entry level kit. It comes with your first ingredient kit too. All you need to round up is a decent pot for your boil, and about 50 bottles for your first batch. Caps and priming sugar are included, as are very clear directions. It is just under a hundred bucks if memory serves me correctly. Its what I started with in april and was a great base to build on.

bottling does get pretty monotonous, but it really doesn't take up more space than kegging as noted earlier. The only real downside is the 2-3 week wait until you can open them. Good Luck!

Back