Want to move to 5 gallon brews...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
I think i want to do 5 gallon brews. The 2.5 gallon brews in the LBK's are OK, but frankly, I want to brew another round while my Oatmeal stout is fermenting. So, would it be better to do a bucket or glass carboy? Or even a Better bottle plastic? Im thinking bucket for the cheapness of it, but I am always looking through the LBK as much as I can with a flashlight trying to spy the bubbles...so maybe something I can see through would be better.

What would you guys suggest? Also, and this is important, where would be the cheapest place to order the carboys or buckets? If I get a bucket, I want to just get a bottling bucket and ferment in there. I really want to watch whats going on in there though.

So, can you suggest the cheapest places to buy these and also which would YOU do? :rockin:

It's all preference my man. Personally, I like plastic buckets. For me, they are easy to use, easy to clean, easy to take hydro readings from. Also, you'll never cut yourself with plastic buckets. I have two glass carboys and I've never used them.

I love plastic buckets- they are lightweight and don't break!

I wouldn't ferment in a bottling bucket, though. I'd get a regular "ale pail" and then rack to the bottling bucket at bottling time.

Oh, and for the best place, Brewmaster's Warehouse is in Marietta. That would save shipping costs.

Apparently their buckets arent marked, though. Just a regular old bucket. Why would you NOT use a bottling bucket to ferment? Im asking because I seriously dont know.

GeorgiaTiger:
Reading that you would try glass makes me cringe! I have composed a short essay on the disadvantages of glass, but, being new to the forum, haven't yet posted it. I own and use two 6gal PET carboys made by TheVintageShop.ca as in canada. The 6gal is wonderful. I do two 3gal batches, cover each with nitrogen gas, combine when they simmer down, rack back and forth(nitrogen or carbon dioxide blanket) and harvest the yeast, if desired. Age in one, bottle, maybe, but am getting interested in using kegs exclusively for ALL steps. So what if I can't see into keg? Careful racking takes care of yeast, or, leave a few inches and bottle THAT. And, you can ALWAYS sell the 'boys on craigslist. Good luck.

Yeah, Im leaning towards the bucket just because im unemployed and broke. LOL. It is pretty cheap and makes pouring the wort and testing really easy. I guess I could use a permanent marker for the gallon markers on the outside of the bucket if these arent marked. Bah!

Austin Homebrew supply is currently having a sale on a fermenter pair; a 7.9. Gal. bucket, and a 5 gal. Better Bottle, for 29.99 + 6.99 shipping. Sale lasts until Wednesday. And the bucket is marked.

I use an ale pail,a Cooper's micro bre FV,& a bottling bucket. All have spigots to make life easier. I keep an auto siphon around just in case. I use plastic 1/2G vodka jugs for blow offs.

I have a carboy and bunch of plastic buckets. Can't tell you the last time I used the carboy. The carboy is mostly visual. I like the ability to fill and carry the bucket.

Apparently their buckets arent marked, though. Just a regular old bucket. Why would you NOT use a bottling bucket to ferment? Im asking because I seriously dont know.

For me, because if you can transfer to another vessel you can leave the trub behind. My cousin and me were sampling a multigrain red I brewed a few weeks before. I remembered sticking my siphon a little too deep and pulling a good amount of trub into the bottling bucket when I bottled that batch. I was reminded this when my cousin pointed out the weird yellowish green color of his beer compared to the red in mine. He about sh** his pants. Imagine stirring up all that sediment when you add your primary sugar at bottling time.

On another note, you can try to go to some bakeries and/or bakery departments at Walmart, Bilo, etc. for some additional free buckets. They won't have 6 gallon buckets, but you may be able to score some 5 gallons. That would allow you to at least make batches bigger than 2.5 gallons.

Back