Want to make sure I'm using the correct temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rel322

Reaction score
I plan on cold crashing my 1st batch on Sunday. For a couple of days. I plan on bottling either the following Tues/Wed. My question is, the temperature I plug into the NorthernBrewer Priming Sugar calculator...

Do I use the temperature of the beer when it comes out of the fridge, or where I'm going to store it?

Also, should I let the beer warm up after being cold crashed before bottling, or do I go straight from cold crash to bottling?

Thanks

Neither. The reason it asks for temperature is because it's trying to estimate the residual CO2 still in solution from fermentation. To do this you need to enter the highest temperature the beer reached after active fermentation. When the beer warms it loses CO2, but cooling it doesn't cause it to gain any. And no need to warm the beer prior to bottling.

Dittos to what Juan said.

The only thing I'd suggest doing differently when priming cold beer is to give it a very,very gentle stir with a sanitized spoon to evenly distribute the priming solution.

Welcome to the "Cold Crashers Club". You're going to like what it does for your brews.

Dittos to what Juan said.

The only thing I'd suggest doing differently when priming cold beer is to give it a very,very gentle stir with a sanitized spoon to evenly distribute the priming solution.

Welcome to the "Cold Crashers Club". You're going to like what it does for your brews.

This... or, just dump your priming solution into the bottling bucket first. If your siphoning creates a natural "whirlpool" like mine does due to how I place the hose in the bottling bucket, it will mix pretty much automatically.

Juan is correct. I would go straight from cold crash to bottling it's pretty much ok.

The temp of the active fermentation? I don't remember, I know that I pitch the yeast a bit high (75ish) but it didn't start until the next day. I know it stayed around 63-65 for the rest if the time. Is that sufficient?

This... or, just dump your priming solution into the bottling bucket first. If your siphoning creates a natural "whirlpool" like mine does due to how I place the hose in the bottling bucket, it will mix pretty much automatically.

I trust that method for priming 68*F beer. For beer in the 30's, however, I want to stir to be sure that I get a consistent prime.

The temp of the active fermentation? I don't remember, I know that I pitch the yeast a bit high (75ish) but it didn't start until the next day. I know it stayed around 63-65 for the rest if the time. Is that sufficient?

That being the case, I'd plug 65*F into the calc. Another option is to simply prime with 0.8oz corn sugar/0.75oz table sugar per gallon of beer. Always weigh the priming sugar on a digital scale. That will get you in the 2.3-2.5 volumes of CO2 range which will work fine for "drinkin' beer".

Back