Want to give PM a go of it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
I only have one brew under my belt, a Robust Porter extract kit. It's currently 2 weeks in bottle and tastes great. I also have a pumpkin ale extract in the fermenter for almost 2 weeks now. I will be transferring that over to the secondary after 3 weeks just to clear it of all the leftover slop in the primary from the pumpkin. So when my primary becomes available again I'm thinking of trying a PM this time. Leaning towards an oatmeal stout. Am I moving too soon with leaving the extract only world?

Should I purchase a PM kit or is it easy enough to put my own ingredients together from a recipe? Anyone have any good oatmeal stout recipes for a first time PM brewer?

Thanks

Am I moving too soon with leaving the extract only world?

It's never too soon to move on. PM is extremely easy!

Should I purchase a PM kit or is it easy enough to put my own ingredients together from a recipe? Anyone have any good oatmeal stout recipes for a first time PM brewer?

That's totally up to you. You can use any beer software to create a recipe. If you're not too inclined on recipe creation yet then go for the kit.

I did only one all extract kit before moving to partial mash. I was a little hesitant to make that move also, but my LHBS guy talked me into it and I was surprised how easy it was. Only needed a couple of additional pieces of equipment and the quality and finished product of the PM beers were noticeably better. I was so impressed by the difference, I did another half dozen or so batches and then went to a
couple of All-Grain classes that the LHBS puts on, picked up some more equipment and never looked back. Take small steps and always work to improve your technique and you'll be making better beer than you can buy very soon. Also, being new, I would suggest going with PM kits untill you get your feet wet. Williams and Northern Brewer have several.

Back