Want to calibrate your carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerapinChef

Reaction score
Here is a tried and true, won't rub/scratch off, easy to read, and user friendly way to mark your carboys for volume. I have been using this method for 5 months and haven't had to re-mark it yet, as I did when I tried various other methods.

There is a product, available everywhere, that seals the deal here. Go to your local pharmacy and purchase 3M waterproof medical tape. Clean the area your wish to mark on your carboy well, allow to dry, and apply tape. Mark cleanly with your favorite brand of permanent marker, in the color of your choice. Feel free to get it wet, spill Oxyclean on it, whatever you want. This stuff does not let go.

Hope someone gets some use out of this one...

Damm it Revvy you're so needy! J/K here you go.
It'll hold 3 Carboys, 5 or 7.5, all in milk crates. And it sits next to my sink so I can fill/adjust as needed.

SDC11824.JPG

I like the idea.

Currently I have a yard stick that is calibrated on 1 side to 6.5 gal carboys and the other is 5 gal carboys. Came in handy when my friend brought over a 5 gal carboy to brewday and didn't have it marked, we were able to top up to 5 gallons based on the marking stick I had.

I know there is some variation in 6.5 gal carboys, but the 5's seem pretty consistent.

Eventually I'm going to do the glass etching that is listed on this site somewhere else

I marked all mine with a Sharpie marker, let the ink dry, and then painted over it with clear nail polish. It's been over a year, and still looks like the day I did it.

Back