Want to build a system, where to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been a home brewer for about 2 years now. I brew the same way I believe 90% of home brewers brew. With single pieces of equipment, including modified igloo coolers, propane burners, and one large SS brew pot. Well I want to automate, simplify, and eventually increase the batch size. So where do I start?

I have been reading through a lot of posts here, and I see a lot of terms, designs and ideas being thrown around. RIMS, HERMS, Brutus, etc... But where should I start? Just keep researching these forums, or can anyone point me in the right direction to where I can learn all about these systems?

I obviously know the brew process, but I don't know anything about pumps, controls, and advanced mashing techniques(well anything other than a one step mash and batch sparge).

Thank you for your help!

Check out the Sculpture and Brew Rig thread. Also RIMS and HERMS are explained here somewhere. Use the google search under the search bar. The regular search doesn't work very well but the google one is great. It's a lot to take in. I've been doing the same thing for about a year. Decided on the basic method I'm using but still so many choices for the specifics.

Hands on experience is best. Try to find an automated system through a local club that you can see in action. Now that I am somewhat automated I would & have made a lot of changes that I could not originally foresee through reading alone.

Is it possible to do a full electric system using only 120v circuits? I'd like to go all electric, but I currently live in an apartment, and probably will be for another few years (I'm young and single :) ) I don't really have the ability to call an electrician or modify the wiring in the building.

Zepp, if you have an electric range in the apartment you might have a 220 plug behind it. Likewise if you have a washer and dryer in the apartment.

Modern kitchens are designed with two 120V 20A circuits in them. If you utilize both circuits, you could easily have enough power to do 5 gallon boils with some headroom left over.

This is a 100+ year old building with a gas stove...

Am I placing too much importance on an electric setup? It just seems so much easier/nicer to use electric and some automation. Is it cheaper to run, compared to buying propane? I know the initial costs are a lot...

It is a little cheaper to run, but can cost more up front. It is also very nice to be able to leave it alone. But, do what is the most effective for your location. If gas is easier for now, then it will make beer that is just as good. I would not stress out too much over equipment.

With that said, however, I dont know of anyone who has ever switched back to gas from electric.......

[...]
But, do what is the most effective for your location. If gas is easier for now, then it will make beer that is just as good. I would not stress out too much over equipment.
I know this is a DIY thread, and I'm not discouraging you from starting a build project, but jfkriege is right. The most important part of brewing beer is your process. I've made exceptionally great beers in plastic pales and aluminum pots on the stove years ago with the same standards in process that I use now with better equipment.

If you don't have the room for a decent system, stick with what works for now. Wait until you have a big garage or a basement and then build the rig of your dreams.

Wish you luck my friend. :mug:

TiberhasbeeninyourshoesBrew

Back