Want to Brew IPA Tomorrow, Hop Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx750ktm

Reaction score
I purchased a Brewers Best IPA. I also bought some additional hops. I plan to use the LME,DME, and specialty grains as a base recipe for starters. I Had a beer this past weekend which was 3 Floyds Pride and Joy. There's another thread here which takes a stab at which hops they use for this beer.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/help-me-clone-three-floyds-pride-joy-mild-457541/
His attempt he felt came up short on hops. All I know from the brewery is that the abv is 5.5% and 42 IBU
So this is my first attempt at throwing together a hop schedule and would like someone to see if I am on the right path or if I have to many hops. I wouldn't say the beer was super hoppy.
This beer is 3 Floyd’s American “Mild” Ale. With a more assertive hop profile that British Milds and a relatively low alcohol content this is a great session beer that still has Pale Ale characteristics. Pride and Joy is a golden color with a fruity nose and a light caramel sweetness to balance the crisp finish. A truly refreshing ale that drinks easily.
One more Question I have read some people do late additions of either the LME or DME. For a beer like this in color would it be a good idea to add some of the malts towards the end of the boil? If so how much should I save for the end? And what time left in the boil should I do this at?
Any advice is appreciated
xphk.png

Your hop schedule falls within the guidelines for an American IPA (I am getting 43.7 IBU from Beer Smith). I think you are going to find with that much crystal that you may want more hop bittering. Do you like a sweet tasting IPA?

The LME and DME have already been boiled up once. The boiling tends to create carmilisation and doing that twice increases the amount of carmilised sugars. Those tend to not ferment out and makes the beer sweeter.
I think many of the extract brewers add around 20 or 15 minutes at the end of the boil.

Hopefully you can get someone to weigh in on their preferred timing of LME/DME additions.

I am not sure if you wanted comments on the grain bill, if you do not then dis-regard my comments below.
You may want to consider using half the amount of crystal and also using a LB of another grain to add some more complexity (vienna, Munich, Pale Malt, Marris Otter, Gold Promise).

Your hop schedule falls within the guidelines for an American IPA (I am getting 43.7 IBU from Beer Smith). I think you are going to find with that much crystal that you may want more hop bittering. Do you like a sweet tasting IPA?

The LME and DME have already been boiled up once. The boiling tends to create carmilisation and doing that twice increases the amount of carmilised sugars. Those tend to not ferment out and makes the beer sweeter.
I think many of the extract brewers add around 20 or 15 minutes at the end of the boil.

Hopefully you can get someone to weigh in on their preferred timing of LME/DME additions.

I am not sure if you wanted comments on the grain bill, if you do not then dis-regard my comments below.
You may want to consider using half the amount of crystal and also using a LB of another grain to add some more complexity (vienna, Munich, Pale Malt, Marris Otter, Gold Promise).

Agreed cut the crystal to 1/2 lb at the most...adding any other grains would help out but are not necessary for this batch. I do non stop extract IPA recipes and would suggest adding the liquid malt before the boil and add the dry malt @15mins left.

I have never bittered with Amarillo or Centennial but agree you may want bump it up a bit depending on the bitterness you like in your IPA's. Both are great hops but I would cut the additions at 30mins and 25 mins. Move them to under 10 mins left you will get a lot more out of them

Thank you for the advice, like I said I'm pretty new and I have trouble picking out individual flavor profiles of a beer, with that said I just bought the brewers best ipa kit. So the grain bill was their recipie so to speak. I just wanted to change up the hops to try to match the 3 Floyd's beer. I'm not sure if the 3 Floyd's was sweet but it could definitely taste the Carmel and then a grapefruit hop characteristic for sure,

Back