Want to brew a "red" beer and there is a catch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I want to brew a red beer, and there is a catch too. I want a session beer that I can keep around 4.0% when its done, So I'm hoping to keep the OG around 1.040.

Here is what I've got so far:

89% 6 12 British Pale (Maris Otter) 37 3
3% 0 4 Munich Malt 37 7
3% 0 4 Crystal 120L 33 120
3% 0 4 American Crystal 60L 34 60
2% 0 2 Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt 33 2

First Question:

Software figures this will be Gold to Copper ( 8 SRM ). What can I add to get to obviously red ?

Here is what I'm figuring for Hops ( assuming that I decide to make this as an Ale )
60 0.5 Chinook pellet 12.0
15 0.5 Cascade leaf 6.6
0-5 0.25 Amarillo pellet 7.0

Software figures that at 26.7 IBU

Is that going to be too bitter in a beer this small ? Or do I have enough maltier tasting malts like the Maris Otter and Munich to keep it basically balanced and leaning to the bitter side, but not unapproachably bitter ?

A very small amount of roasted barley (an ounce or so) would give you a little more coppery color without adding too much roasty flavor.

I know a pinch of roasted barley goes a long way in adding some red to the profile. Melanoidin malt also gives beer a reddish tint. That's about all I've got in the red department.

I wouldn't say 26.7 IBU's is too bitter for a 1.040 beer. My Alt is my go to session beer that's 42.0 IBU's (Tinseth) at an OG of 1.052 and I consider it to be quite balanced.

you can up that munich malt by a few pounds if you'd like. it has a red color and a wonderful malty flavor. light beers need lots of flavor or they tend to be watery. mash high, around 156°F, to get a nice full brew.

red color is difficult...munich malt, small amounts of high crystal malt and very small amounts of roasted barley. they also impart flavor, so balance is important.

that's definitely on the bitter side

hopsgraph.jpg

i'd have to plug it into promash to tell you what i would change, tho.

hope that helps
:mug:

I use black malt for red. .5-1oz. You can use British Black Patent or Belgium debittered black, either way you get some red and no flavor.

I've also heard that if you grind up the black or roasted malt very fine and sprinkle it on top of the mash, it helps. Never done it, just what I've heard.

I use black malt for red. .5-1oz. You can use British Black Patent or Belgium debittered black, either way you get some red and no flavor.
Interesting. I was hoping to do an Irish Red this weekend, but the shipment came without the roasted barley. I wonder how off I'll be using an ounce of Black Patent.

I've also heard that if you grind up the black or roasted malt very fine and sprinkle it on top of the mash, it helps. Never done it, just what I've heard.

You can also do this with the dehusked carafa special to eliminate off flavors from the husk decimation.

Back