Wand aerator any one use one??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Specifically the one sold at Northern Brewer that uses the small O2 tank? Thinking about getting this and just wondered for the $50 if it works well and is worth the cash.

Update: I bought this and look forward to using it. How long do I hit the wort for to give it a nice aeration????

just build one! I made one out of an aeration stone on some plastic tubing. The key is I fished a bit of stripped romex down the inside of the tube to give it some rigidity like a wand, and I can pop the entire thing in my sanitizing bucket.

just build one! I made one out of an aeration stone on some plastic tubing. The key is I fished a bit of stripped romex down the inside of the tube to give it some rigidity like a wand, and I can pop the entire thing in my sanitizing bucket.

Um yeah I'm nowhere near that handy to make one. lol, But I'm guessing something of the sort works well so it's worth it.

I sawed the crook off an acrylic racking cane, jammed a couple of inches of hard poly tubing on one end and stuffed the barbed .5u ss stone in that, and shoved some vinyl tubing from my O2 reg on the other end. I stir the wort while the O2 is flowing and occasionally the tubing to the reg pops off if I'm not paying attention, but other than that it works great...

Cheers!

I use oxygen tubing from a nasal cannula with a hanger inside to give it dexterity...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The fundamental question appears to be "is an oxygenation system worth the cost?" My answer is absolutely yes.

I started off shaking the wort. Then I added a venturi hole to my CFC (which I still use). Then I bought a fishtank aeration system. Then I bought an O2 regulator to fit the Home Depot little O2 canisters, and attached the fishtank aeration tube and stone to it.

Each time I moved up a step, my fermentation began more quickly and the beer attenuated more thoroughly and predictably.

I hadn't thought about stiffening the tube up - just not that creative I guess - so I just use the hose to drag the stone around in the wort bucket/carboy. 20-40 seconds is all I do, and it makes (to me) a huge difference.

I sawed the crook off an acrylic racking cane, jammed a couple of inches of hard poly tubing on one end and stuffed the barbed .5u ss stone in that, and shoved some vinyl tubing from my O2 reg on the other end. I stir the wort while the O2 is flowing and occasionally the tubing to the reg pops off if I'm not paying attention, but other than that it works great...

Cheers!

I've done the same.

you can make a wand using a "Faucet Riser" from home depot. fits snug onto amazon.com stones...

Oddly enough looking through the Northern Brewer catalog I see the one they show has a flexible tube with the stone at the end, the one I bought from them for the same price has a stainless wand with the stone on the end so they obviously changed the product, it looks just like the one from Williams brewing, Nice win win.

Back