Walmart has no sense of humor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done that from time to time. Sometimes its a wang. Sometimes I'll do a smiley face. Nobody's ever said a word to me about it.

It's amazing how bad credit card security is in this country....

It seems like I always end up with the machine with the F-ed up touch screen, so my signature looks like a toddler did it on an Etch-a-Sketch and nobody bats an eye.

Then there's the times I pick up a prescription for my wife and sign my name instead of hers. Again, no one cares. I was starting to think it didn't even show up on the cashier's end.

When I was in college, checks were still used. I used to write out checks to megalo-mart, k-mart, wally world, etc and walmart always took them and cashed them. I figured worst case I have to rewrite a check so why not. Between you cant read my scribble anyway, and the computer screen thing makes it even worse, I frequently just draw a line on the thing. Now I am going to have to get creative.

Up here in Canada, we're pretty much completely converted over to the chips now. For both debit and credit, we just insert the card and punch in the PIN - no signature required. I hear it's dramatically cut down on fraud.

That's Awsome ;P I'm going to do that next time, I'll run it as credit just to do it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When I was in college, we had a history of screwing around at Walmart. We(somehow) discovered that Walmart had a strict policy of no video cameras in their stores. So naturally, we would sneak a camera in, film ourselves doing dumb stuff or even just walking around and shopping normally, and see how long it would take before they ran us out.

Another time, one of my friends had an old employee vest left over from working there in high school. He put it on and started acting like he was working, while another guy went over to a real employee and started speaking in German, acting like a flustered tourist. The fake employee--who was also fluent in German--then walked up, introduced himself as the store translator, and staged an escalating argument with the "German" guy, who ended up shoving him into a stack of bags of dog food and running away, all in front of the bewildered real employee.

We were dorks.

Usually, I scribble nonsense at my local Safeway checkout... Nobody gives a damn. Never had an issue, never questioned. Sometimes I'll sign it "Ass Chicken" or "Dick Head" or something else, depending on my mood.

We had a restaurant in town for a while named Dingus McGee's. Every check I ever wrote to them was made out to Dingle Berry's. I would giggle like a school child as I wrote the check and my kids would die a thousand deaths as I handed the check over to the server. All checks were accepted by the business and at the bank. You know, I think they would have made it if they had changed the name of the place :D

ccsu_dunham_sparks_angry.jpg

"Welcome to Walmart. Get your sh*t and get out!"

That is a great, thanks for the laugh! :mug:

Then there's the times I pick up a prescription for my wife and sign my name instead of hers. Again, no one cares. I was starting to think it didn't even show up on the cashier's end.

If the prescription clerk asks the "security" questions all they want to know after that is what you relation is if the last name does not match.

Up here in Canada, we're pretty much completely converted over to the chips now. For both debit and credit, we just insert the card and punch in the PIN - no signature required. I hear it's dramatically cut down on fraud.

We are not that technologically advanced here in the states

I lived in France nearly 20 years ago, and even way back then it was all smart chips in all the cards. I never signed a willy on anything! They never had phone books either. All land line owners were issued a little computer type thingy specifically for looking up numbers and other stuff.

I lived in France nearly 20 years ago, and even way back then it was all smart chips in all the cards. I never signed a willy on anything! They never had phone books either. All land line owners were issued a little computer type thingy specifically for looking up numbers and other stuff.

Maybe after having re-issued millions of credit and debit cards due to the Target data breach, U.S. banks will start re-thinking the idea of chipping their cards.

Maybe after having re-issued millions of credit and debit cards due to the Target data breach, U.S. banks will start re-thinking the idea of chipping their cards.

I just called all my credit card issuers and got cards with chips-Chase Visa doesn't offer it yet, that card may get thrown in a drawer until the company gets their act together. But my Amex and debit cards both have chips in them now.

My AmEx also got replaced with a chipped card after my last card got compromised last year. Fortunately the people that stole it didn't do much with it (I hope you choked on the lunch you bought at that deli, you a-holes!) and Citi weren't dicks about disputing the charges.

unless something has changed in the last few years, the problem with chipped cards is a thief can read the chip data if they stand near you (think any time/place where people move in close quarters). Then they write that data to a blank card and use freely. In my area you have to swipe the card for anything over $20 and enter your pin.

unless something has changed in the last few years, the problem with chipped cards is a thief can read the chip data if they stand near you (think any time were people move in close quarters). Then they write that data to a blank card and use freely. In my area you have to swipe the card for anything over $20 and enter your pin.

You can actually get RFID-blocking sleeves to store your cards that are supposed to protect them from that kind of scanner. I got one, and although I haven't tried to test it, it will usually block my office keycard (not in the sleeve) if I hold up my wallet with the sleeve side facing the reader instead of the keycard side.

How did this thread get so serious all of a sudden??

The only thing that is certain in this life is that one day we all will die.
It could be today. It could be tomorrow. It could be forty years from now, but eventually, we all will succumb to the grim reaper's touch.
Personally, I envy the dead sometimes.

Wait... what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, drawing dicks on stuff.

You can actually get RFID-blocking sleeves to store your cards that are supposed to protect them from that kind of scanner. I got one, and although I haven't tried to test it, it will usually block my office keycard (not in the sleeve) if I hold up my wallet with the sleeve side facing the reader instead of the keycard side.

Cruddy electronic pen pads to sign the recipe? :D

Nope I was wrong drawing the frank and beans to see who wants to question a signature! :mug:

Hmmm how many times/people can sign as President Obama before the FBI takes notice...

And yes the RFID blocking sleeves and wallets do work. I have a hard case wallet I change to for vacations.

unless something has changed in the last few years, the problem with chipped cards is a thief can read the chip data if they stand near you (think any time/place where people move in close quarters). Then they write that data to a blank card and use freely. In my area you have to swipe the card for anything over $20 and enter your pin.

Naw they are referring to not the rfid chipped cards but this style chip rather than the fastpass like exxon fobs that you tap the pump with. These have to be read with a card reader.
Chip%20Card.jpg

I feel sorry for the small business owner who will be forced to buy chip readers in addition to the mag stripe reader in order to take credit cards.

I feel sorry for the small business owner who will be forced to buy chip readers in addition to the mag stripe reader in order to take credit cards.

Honestly, they're not that expensive. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than having to refund people's credit cards constantly because they were used fraudulently. A lot of CC processing companies will even help subsidize such readers when you buy their services.

Credit Card security technology is horribly outdated in the US, at least when it comes to the traditional magnetic stripe cards/readers. Chip-and-pin is a much needed requirement.

Well yeah, but have you seen the women on Identity-Thief Meet? Fugly, man.

Touche.

So is Farmers Only(what a creepy commercial they have there) the place to pick up a Cow?

What I am trying to figure out is how this one works. I thought the Amish... Electricity... Computers... Ow!

Amish.jpg

Oh. My-lanta. I am disturbed. Found this when looking for the above picture. There really is a dating site niche for everything.
http://stalledinatlanta.blogspot.com/2013/12/looking-for-that-special-someone-try.html

Back