Wall mounted grain hanging option?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In setting up for brewing in the basement on an all-in-one system, I'm trying to avoid installing a pully system in the joists, as I've heard they're not designed to bear weight in the direction of hanging things from them. They're also the skinny "I" format ones, so screwing something into the underside isn't much of an option. As such, a wall mounted, swing-out arm sounds ideal, and Spike just posted this to their FB page. However, for the life of me, I cannot find anything similar via searches here, on the googlez, etc.

Does anyone use something like this or know of where to buy one?

1628102338718.png

fwiw, I have not seen a commercial version of that type of device on HBT, so you've come across a new paradigm I believe :)
But, there may be problems: it isn't obvious that the outside mounting holes are on 16" centers and the inside ones likely could only be used with screw anchors - in sheet rock, that's a dubious connection...

Cheers!

it isn't obvious that the outside mounting holes are on 16" centers and the inside ones likely could only be used with screw anchors - in sheet rock, that's a dubious connection...

that's what i was thinking also....it would look better if it had longer span and 3 or so slots on both sides, instead of holes...and another thought i had, doesn't look like it actually lifts that high? lots of rope though?

Cactus, I don't know how much grain you're hauling, but something like this https://www.amazon.com/Minuteman-International-MC-18-Fireplace-18-Inch/dp/B0006Q4IBK is likely way cheeper and just as effective, unless you are talking a lot more grain that I regularly use in a batch. :mug:

i was about to say good idea....but then i was looking at the pic, and thought ~$20....saw the $100 price tag though....then i was thinking, i could rig up a electric motor with a pully to do the lifting for me at that price.....do it like a pully grain mill thing?

i was about to say good idea....but then i was looking at the pic, and thought ~$20....saw the $100 price tag though....then i was thinking, i could rig up a electric motor with a pully to do the lifting for me at that price.....do it like a pully grain mill thing?
yeah, I was originally thinking about something along the lines of a shelf bracket, but OP wants it to swing out from the wall. I was going for the basic idea of a fireplace pot holder. My link was the first thing that came up. :ghostly:

That Century unit is similar to the one in the OP and does claim the outside mounting holes are on 16" centers, so that's something good. The inside holes otoh I suspect aren't going to add much to the holding power...

Cheers!

Floor joists are definitely designed to bear vertical loads. Ceiling joists (no floor above) are primarily designed to take tension loads, if you have a peaked roof.

Brew on :mug:

Aren't ceiling joists a 2x4 or 2x6 installed with the skinny side pointing down?Isn't a 2x4 a joist rotated with the skinny side facing out?

I never worried about a joist or stud being strong enough to hold the weight of a typical mash. I will worry about the device going into the wood being up to the job. I expect a screw or some other anchor will pull out of the framing member before the member breaks under the stress.

Looking at the picture in the OP, what holds the bracket onto the wall? Looks like the screws are in drywall. Personally, I woukd prefer two wood screws into a stud.

Having said all this, I do not understand skinny I format joist.

That is an engineered joist - and one definitely does not want to attach significant weight to it.
Classic ceiling joists not supporting an upper floor could be 1x pine stock (ie: 1x8, 1x10) and meet the code of the day but hanging significant weight off them would require some additional bracing...

Cheers!

I don't think you are supposed to do much to the bottom of the I-joists, like notching and holes is mainly what I am aware of.

As far as the product in the OP, you could put a backer board and maybe two layers of it to span the studs. Two 2x6's or bigger maybe would make it thicker vs a sheet just consider where the 2x6 cross the studs, the fasteners would be close. I don't know how much weight you're working with though.

I am looking for something like this too. As someone pointed out already trust specific item is the Century Heavy Bag wall mount. I am close to buying this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00F4AQ..._dl_ZK0HFQRFM8ZK5X32VB79?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's a similar item but it's only rated at 100 lbs. On a Spike Solo, 10 gallon batch, with 25+ pounds of grain and water, it's way over 100 pounds so that makes me nervous with 150 degree wort.

This one is rated at 1000 pounds but it doesn't swivel and it sticks out over two feet.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SV6974G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_dl_GAK62HXSGZ9KR8DDMC7W

I am looking for something like this too. As someone pointed out already trust specific item is the Century Heavy Bag wall mount. I am close to buying this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00F4AQ..._dl_ZK0HFQRFM8ZK5X32VB79?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's a similar item but it's only rated at 100 lbs. On a Spike Solo, 10 gallon batch, with 25+ pounds of grain and water, it's way over 100 pounds so that makes me nervous with 150 degree wort.

This one is rated at 1000 pounds but it doesn't swivel and it sticks out over two feet.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SV6974G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_dl_GAK62HXSGZ9KR8DDMC7W
Your first one linked, in the fifth picture shows what I mentioned about 2x6's.

This one is 100kg, https://smile.amazon.com/Boxing-Hea...vy+bag&qid=1628134501&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-7

I am looking for something like this too.
Yeah, i'm leaning towards that Yes4All mount also, as I like the fact that it comes up from the mount interface to come closer to the joists in my ceiling (lower profile). I'm concerned about the 100 lbs, as I'll be rolling with the 65L Brewzilla and am currently unsure what the max grainbill (and thus wet weight of the grains) will be.

Your first one linked, in the fifth picture shows what I mentioned about 2x6's.
Excellent point. I'll be installing into the cement foundation of my basement, so I, myself, am not concerned about the hole spacing, but it's definitely worth consideration for someone else installing on a finished wall.

It's a similar item but it's only rated at 100 lbs. On a Spike Solo, 10 gallon batch, with 25+ pounds of grain and water, it's way over 100 pounds
That's what i'm wrestling with: trying to find something that isn't overkill (1000lb+ capacity) but can handle more than100 lb. By my estimates:

I've heard the Brewzilla 65L can't do more than 40lb of grain. With an absorption rate of 0.122 gal/lb, that's 4.8 gallons of water absorbed. Ignoring density and temperature, round up to 5 gallons to be conservative, that's 43 lbs of water, making the total saturated grain basket 83 lbs. Now, on top of the liquid that needs to drain from the supersaturated condition before only being 100% saturated, I'm sure that's pushing 100 lbs.

Does the brewzilla have the multiple levels of catches on the side of the malt pipe? the guten has these so you lift about 8 inches a time until the malt pipe is at it's highest level.
With this situation you are not lifting all the weight at once because it's floating, then some drain and further lift. I think the only way to get the calculation of max weight accurate would be to have a strain gauge on the malt pipe handle as you go through those lifting stages.
I haven't maxed out a grain bill in my 70 litre guten yet so can't say any figures from my end, however it's been easy to manually lift in stages with 25 lb of grain in.
Working in metric you suggest about 20kg of grain, absorption 0.7 l per kg so 20 plus 14 is 34 kg.

If the malt pipe was a bucket and couldn't drain then it would be perhaps 20 kg and 2.5 litres per kg of grain ( mash liquor ) so 70 kg but there is displacement / flotation and draining so the dead lift weight would be much less.

Your concerns about drilling or damaging the joist are totally valid. I'm thinking if you can get a hold of a Simpson strong tie or strap that you can get over the top of the joist then you could easily get that load into the joist.
They're engineered for a certain portion deadload and live load. Think about your foot stepping on the floor overhead...
I wouldnt think twice about hanging a grain bag from it... (Close to the wall)
I'm planning to put a pulley in the 2x6" overhead of my ferm chamber soon...loading my kegmenter full almost killed me the other day...about 55 lbf.

I agree, if the beam is exposed, I would not be afraid to wrap something around over the top of the beam. I certainly would trust that more than 4 anchor points in drywall as that is what looks like in the OP.

In setting up for brewing in the basement on an all-in-one system, I'm trying to avoid installing a pully system in the joists, as I've heard they're not designed to bear weight in the direction of hanging things from them. They're also the skinny "I" format ones, so screwing something into the underside isn't much of an option. As such, a wall mounted, swing-out arm sounds ideal, and Spike just posted this to their FB page. However, for the life of me, I cannot find anything similar via searches here, on the googlez, etc.

View attachment 737872
This is what I've done.
IMG_7269.JPG
I have screwed it to the ceiling just to stop it twisting sideways.

I'm not sure what they're called...but exercise straps are perfect for this if can find the right type. It's a nylon webbing with sewn in D-rings at the end. Just hook up a carabineer to your pulley, voila...
Also easy to relocate if you wanna go somewhere else to lift...

I just got the Yes4All mount today after seeing it in this thread. Its decent enough. There's really no bearing surface when you swing it side to side and it drops down a little from the locking position but I don't intend to swing it with the bag mounted. The ring is ridiculously big for my needs so I might need something smaller for vertical clearance reasons but we'll see. Its certainly sturdy enough. Mounting was easy for me since I skinned the whole wall behind my brewing area in 3/4 plywood before finishing with corrugated metal so I can mount things anywhere.

and it drops down a little from the locking position

What exactly do you mean by this?

I think I may try this mount as the price point is cheap enough and mount with 2x6s across the studs to help spread the weight load. If you brew with it I'd love to hear how it works.

When you pull out the knob to allow the arm to swing side to side, the arm slips down inside the wall mount about another 1/2”. I used it for my first brew day and it’s not an issue since I have no plans to swing it side to side with the bag on it. It was nice to have something more substantial and and this looks nice too.

Do you leave it hanging the entire time during the brew and pull it down afterwards?
No, Only when I need to lift the malt pipe up when its full of wet grain.
Once its drained after sparging I lift it clear as shown, then slide the all in one to the left so its under the extractor fan ready for the boil & fully lower the malt pipe to the sink which is just to the right hand side.

I'm planning to weld up a spreader bar in a few weeks with a stick welder (but the priority is the kettle stand). Will rig something up to better lift kegs and fermenters into my chest freezers. Shouldn't be too expensive at the orange big box store. Will let you know when I come up with a bill of materials.

Back