Walking the Walk...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
Some of you may remember I recommend blending or mixing 2 (relatively) bad batches to make 1 good one before thinking about toss both away? Well, it came to that for me today.

In my storage room I "found" a "lost" 6er of batch # 5014, a Hefe Weizen, that I brewed on 4 Sep 05 and bottled on 8 Oct 05. Checking my notes, it was on the sweet side because I used 7 lbs of malt and only 1 oz of bittering hops.

Recently, I "inadvertently" miscalculated the bittering hops for #6017, my Hoppy Beerthday Weizen, making it more bitter than I expected (silly mistake, really), still very much drinkable, just about on the 55-60% of bitter where I prefer the 51% sweet to 49% bitter flavor.

Well, taking my own advice, I blended 4 - 0,5 liter bottles in a jug (2 from each batch) and now have a slowly dwindling jug of some good tasting Weizen.

Incidently, I only have a few bottles left so I will fancifully rename these last remaining bottles either "In with the Old and In with the New" or '05 Plus 06 Equal 11 because they were bottled 11 months from each other...OK, while that's all true, I'm not going to rename squat and just keep drinking...:drunk:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I talk the brew talk and I walk the brew walk...;) :rockin:...blending DOES work (but I knew that).:mug:

I'm finding the Bent Rod Rye mixed with a Red or Brown can give them a whole new range.

Homework: If you have four taps on your kegger, how many different ales can you blend assuming a half pint glass, two or more beers per sample, no less than 1 oz. of any given beer and restricting yourself to whole ounces?

Bonus points if you make it half way through the test without passing out!

david_42 said:
I'm finding the Bent Rod Rye mixed with a Red or Brown can give them a whole new range.

Homework: If you have four taps on your kegger, how many different ales can you blend assuming a half pint glass, two or more beers per sample, no less than 1 oz. of any given beer and restricting yourself to whole ounces?

Owww, I know, I know, pick me, oww, oww....the answer's 1!:drunk:

"Homework: If you have four taps on your kegger, how many different ales can you blend assuming a half pint glass, two or more beers per sample, no less than 1 oz. of any given beer and restricting yourself to whole ounces?

Bonus points if you make it half way through the test without passing out"

It has been over 25 years since I took calculus but combinations, permutations, and factorials will get me there, I hope. If I don't respond within 5 minutes........I passed out.

African or European?

But really.. do you mean how many different blends? or how many ales? and are we to assume that there isn't more been in the fridge that you don't have a picnic tap on?

Making the assumption that each tap has an ale (no lagers), then 4, one for each tap.
Unless you mean how many different blends, hmm.. then
2 beers: 42
3 beers: 84
4 beers: 35
->161 total permutations

I threw it into excel and figured it out.. so I have only little conifidence. I'd feel better if I had a formula.

3rd and Long said:
2 beers: 42
3 beers: 84
4 beers: 35
->161 total permutations

[geek]I'm tryng to recall my prob and stats classes from college. I believe we want combinations and not permutations here. A Permutation would allow for multiple blends to be mixed that have the exact same contents, but the mixing was done in a different order. In other words, 4 ouces of IPA + 4 ounces of porter would be a different permutation than 4 ounces of porter + 4 ounces of IPA would be a different permutation than 2 oz porter + 2 oz IPA + 2 oz porter + 2 oz IPA, etc, etc.

Anyway, what you came up with were combinations, which is what we want. I just don't know if the results you have are right. I forget how to do the math these days. :)

Hmmm... Maybe we should get clarification from the teacher on our homework. david_42 are we counting combinations or permutations?[/geek]

Like I said, I have some, but not much confidence in my results..I didn't do much math, I figured out the various patterns and how many times each would occur. And yes I was drinking homebrew.

Permutation: One possible combination of items out of a larger set of items. For example, with the set of numbers 1, 2 and 3, there are six possible permutations: 12, 21, 13, 31, 23 and 32

david_42 said:

In an 8 ounce glass that must have whole ounces of at least two beers, i think it works like this:

if glass one has 7 ounces, three beers can be made (7,1,0,0) (7,0,1,0) and (7,0,0,1).

if glass one has 6 ounces, six beers can be made (6,0,1,1) (6,0,0,2) (6,0,2,0)
(6,1,0,1) (6,1,1,0) (6,2,0,0)

see the pattern here? its like adding a row of bowling pins ...

glass one with 5 ounces is 10 beers
glass one with 4 ounces is 15 beers
glass one with 3 ounces is 21 beers
glass one with 2 ounces is 28 beers
glass one with 1 ounce is 36 beers
glass one with 0 ounces is 45 beers

6+10+15+21+28+36+45 is 161 beers.

Back