waiting to pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttastrom

Reaction score
I was about to start brewing tonight when we realized that my brother had forgotten to pick up yeast. Anyone know if it would be ok to brew tonight, pick up yeast tomorrow, and pitch in the morning? We have everything set up and don't really have time to brew tomorrow. Thanks.

I've never done it before but I don't see why not. keep it sealed up tonight. tomorrow make sure your at good pitching temp, aerate than pitch your yeast. again not speaking from experience here, just a theory. grab an extra pack of yeast tomorrow for future emergencies.

I do it all of the time. I'll cool the wort, siphon into the carboy, then continue cooling in an ice bath. I've pitched the yeast hours later, next morning, etc., with no problems. IMO, as long as your sanitation procedures are OK, the extra time helps to get the wort down to pitching temps anyway.

I've let my wort sit over night before pitching several times and I've never had a problem. Obviously, you want to be extra careful about sanitation, and you probably shouldn't let the wort sit for TOO long. But waiting for ~12 hours before pitching should be fine.

Is this a lager or an ale? Typically what Ill do with my lagers is cool with plate chiller, put in fermenters, then put in fermentation fridge. After the temp reaches proper fermentation temp I will rack from cold break, aereate, then pitch the yeast.

Back