Waiting for a Large Order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmq

Reaction score
So, after finally building a four tap keezer, purchasing 8 cornys, and getting fermentation chambers, I want to get a solid pipeline running to where my beers are able to age several months before a tap is free. Since SWMBO would probably divorce me if I brewed more than one all-grain batch per month, my plan is to brew one extract batch per week for about 4-5 weeks (probably will be in the dog house, but not a marriage-ender) to get my pipeline going. After which, I can go back to all-grain.

Now to the point, I can't, in good conscience, purchase several extract recipes totaling ~$200 when about once a month Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies usually give something cool away for free with a large purchase. So, I have to wait until another comes along..

#HomeBrewerProblems....

You're wife would divorce you for taking one 1/2 day out of the month to enjoy a hobby?

Haha no, I have found once a month is the sweet spot for me to brew, especially because that is about the pace I drink 5 gallons.

However, here is how I envision my pipeline:

4 kegs in the keezer
4 kegs full and on stand-by
1 beer in the fermeter

This way, once a keg is kicked, I move the most mature keg that has already been carbed and cold stored into the keezer. I then move the beer from the fermenter to the open keg to age and carb and brew another batch.

This will allow me to brew about how often I would like while maintaining my pipeline. It's getting to this point as quickly as possible that will be a challenge. To do so, I can probably swing an extract batch once a week until complete, but all-grain is out of the question.

NB often does deals on three-kit purchases. They're nearly ALWAYS extract kits, and the selection is pretty limited, but it's a good way to help get you where you need to be.

I have tried this method of a pipeline, it doesn't work for me as I rotate what I drink and when I have friends over or I bottle it up for them. I sometimes have two go out about the same time. Just be prepared to have to slow down the brewing or add one in there to catch back up.
CHEERS!:mug:

I have tried this method of a pipeline, it doesn't work for me as I rotate what I drink and when I have friends over or I bottle it up for them. I sometimes have two go out about the same time. Just be prepared to have to slow down the brewing or add one in there to catch back up.
CHEERS!:mug:

Yeah, my original idea is definitely in ideal circumstances. Once I am all caught up, I will definitely have room to be flexible. I plan on having four kegs on standby, with two or three of which will hopefully be carbed and cold so I can switch them out immediately. Ideally, I will already have a beer (maybe two if I got horny) finished fermenting and aging a bit in the fermenter(s), so I can rack them right over to the newly opened keg(s) within a day or two.

I will definitely have to surge or cut back on the brewing depending on different factors, but the larger the pipeline the more flexibility I have and the less chance I end up with an offline tap (which I am about to).

can you brew bigger batches?

I do brew ten gallon batches when I plan to take a keg to a party or some other event.. one for them and one for me.

However, I am such a nerd for variety, I am always itching for the next beer in my line-up. Doing this would get me caught up much quicker, but at the cost of variety in the short term.

What I am thinking about doing is a simultaneous brew, a full boil outside and 2-3 gallon boil on the kitchen stove (obviously having my wife on boil-over watch inside). Once I get the extract and bittering hops added inside, I can start the full boil outside. I am thinking I should be able to finish off the 2-3 gallon boil in plenty of time to do my last hop addition outside, considering topping up with near freezing water makes wort chilling near instantaneous and the time it takes to boil 6.5 gallons of water. What do you guys think? Possible without too much headache or potential for something going wrong?

Back