wait to pitch or lower temp after pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nateo

Reaction score
Hey guys. I did a quick search on this and couldn't find a great answer. I just finished up brewing a Koelsch, but with how hot my ground water is, the wort is only down to 78*. I plan to ferment at 58*.

Would it be worse to pitch now and let the temp fall to 58* tonight, or should I pitch when I wake up tomorrow morning, letting it go ~8hrs without any yeast.

I have a freezer with a temp controller. I cranked it all the way down when I put the buckets in, but the temp hasn't fallen much.

it's ok to pitch now, as you can pitch below 80 with no problem. . you can let the temp drop and wait. your choice. i know award-winning brewers who wait 3-4 days to pitch, but they know what they are doing

Well, looks like it was a RDWHAHB situation. I waited up last night until the wort was 73*, then said eff-it and pitched the yeast. This morning there was a nice thick kraeusen and the temp was 59*.

I was worried about thermally shocking the yeast, but I don't think that was an issue. Or if it was, it was too small to notice.

Back