w00t! Home Depot score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
I'll be going AG sooner than I had planned. I found this Bayou burner and 30 qt. pot at HD for $37 and change, on sale in my local store. It was kind of hard to pass up. I know 7.5 gallons might be a smaller pot to use for full boils, but I hope it'll work since I couldn't hardly pass it up. I was in the HD getting together parts for a MLT cooler conversion. I was planning on trying to do more PM and work my way to AG using the stovetop in the kitchen for a while longer, but now I guess I'll need to change those plans:ban: .

Matt

That's a nice score but you gotta be careful doing full boils in there. The good thing is you can use that for an HLT in the future...

ma2brew said:
I'll be going AG sooner than I had planned. I found this Bayou burner and 30 qt. pot at HD for $37 and change, on sale in my local store. It was kind of hard to pass up. I know 7.5 gallons might be a smaller pot to use for full boils, but I hope it'll work since I couldn't hardly pass it up. I was in the HD getting together parts for a MLT cooler conversion. I was planning on trying to do more PM and work my way to AG using the stovetop in the kitchen for a while longer, but now I guess I'll need to change those plans:ban: .

Matt

sounds like 08 is starting out good for you. Beer kit from your bro now moving on up to the ag side. congrats :mug:

Yeah, I'm really going to have to keep an eye on this when boiling, but bargain hunters seldom get to be too choosy! This pot should hold me over for a while, but who knows, I might get a cheap keggle somewhere...

Now I just need to get an IC and a cooler. I guess then I'll need to get some bulk grains too!

This is getting exciting, but it'll really get rolling once I get the taxes done and a refund, then I should be able to set aside enough for a number of batches!!! (imagine really silly grin smiley here)

Matt

I see that has the low pressure regulator, not sure how big a difference the high pressure is (listed on the burner lower on the page). I use a 7.5 gallon pot and can infact promise you that it will keep you on your toes.

Congrats on the new equipment and new brews.

keep a spray bottle full of water nearby and you can fight off the boil over pretty easily.

The really sad thing is that I bought the wrong size parts for the ball valve, as I bought all 1/2 inch instead of 3/8 inch, so I'll be going back tomorrow if my lunchtime allows.

I have the same set up, and I was hoping it would be okay for AG (I was worried about the pot size). I was using it as a fryer, but my priotieis have since changed. :D

I was wondering though, while cleaning it out, 5+ gallons of water is decently heavy, and the stand for it isn't too sturdy. I was always worried when frying with 3 gal of oil. Can the stand it comes with hold up to the water needed for AG?

CrazyToad said:
...I was wondering though, while cleaning it out, 5+ gallons of water is decently heavy, and the stand for it isn't too sturdy. I was always worried when frying with 3 gal of oil. Can the stand it comes with hold up to the water needed for AG?
In this day and litigious age we're living in I highly doubt that HD's legal team would allow something meant to hold flame and flammable oil in close proximity to not hold the advertised amount plus some extra amount for fudge factor. If it looks like it's not going to hold I can always rig some kind of bracing between the legs, but I haven't even got this out of the box yet, so I really can't say.

That burner will support a converted keg, filled with water. That's a hell of a lot more weight than you'll be putting on it right now. No worries.

However, after a couple of uses, it is a good idea to tighten all the bolts a bit.

imasickboy said:
That burner will support a converted keg, filled with water. That's a hell of a lot more weight than you'll be putting on it right now. No worries.

However, after a couple of uses, it is a good idea to tighten all the bolts a bit.
Great! Thanks for the heads-up!

Back