Quantcast

W-34/70 Phenolic?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

konofaye

Reaction score
I used 34/70 for a Pilsener (Pils, Vienna, Carafoam, Biscuit; Saaz and Pacific Jade) I brewed before Thanksgiving and am now getting a strong phenolic character in the beer. It was clean for several months, scored high 30s in a local competition, and had a nice lager character for that time.

I fermented at 52 for 3 weeks and moved to 60 for 4 more weeks, since then it's been about 65 or so in bottles in the basement. I brew 2-3 times a month and this is the first beer that's gone in this direction, so although it could be my equipment, I suspect it may be the yeast itself.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with the yeast?

Fortunately the grain bill, hop selection and hopping rate all work for a Belgian-style beer, so I just have a case of Patersbier instead of lager. Would like to quash this issue, if there is one, though, before it ruins a batch in the future.

Thanks!

OP
K

konofaye

Reaction score
I've used it lots, ferment around 10c and have always ended up with clean Lagers
Yeah, I've had many beers - including others I've made - with this strain and all came out clean. Pleasant mistake, but making me wonder if it's time for a deep clean. Stout made before and hefeweizen made after came out without any issues.

waldoar15

Reaction score
I've never had it happen, but my beer never sees temps that high except for a few days of D-rest.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use the brulosophy quick lager method with 34/70 and I’ve never been able to detect phenols in my beer...always crisp and clean...maybe and I’m just spit balling here but could the carbonation from the bottles be the culprit as they eat the sugar to make CO2?

waldoar15

Reaction score
BTW, does every bottle have this? Just asking because back when I bottled I missed some smutz now and then cleaning them and would get an infected bottle.

FVillatoro

Reaction score
Sounds like contamination.

34/70 has always been a clean fermenter, with the exception that I detect a tart-lemon-like flavor in some brews.