VT Hokie Brew In memory of those who lost there life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_p

Reaction score
It was Monday morning and I was still fast asleep when I got a call that I did not have to go to work because of high winds. So after I did get myself up and going I was thinking it was a great day to start another batch of some good Ole home brew. I was just done steeping my grains when a friend of mine called me and told me the news about the shootings at Virgina Tech. So after having the news on while brewing this batch of beer I have decided to name this brew in there memory. So here in memory of the love ones lost I give you "Hokie Ale"

Thank you for the spelling correction. Also the name of this brew is not set in stone it was just the first thing that came to my mind. So if anyone else has a good name please post it.

I'd do a brew for my brother for surviving Monday, and that guy who escaped from jail and got caught behind his (my bros) apartment....except the only problem is my brother doesn't drink a lot :(

It's time for my "Hokie Ale" to be bottled and set aside to age. My heart goes out to everyone. I will make another post to let everyone know how it turns out once I try one. I am thinking of making a label one with each students name that was lost with there photo if I can find one and set them aside on display in memory. Which will still leave me with a few brews left for me to try. At the least they will have a label even if I do drink them.

This was a "Back to Basics" Beer kit that I got from www.homebrewheaven.com and my first plan was to make it into a cherry ale, but I found out about the whole VT deal while it was still on the stove top boiling. I did add 1 cup of brown sugar in the main boil and I did not want the beer to get to sweet so I just felt like I should leave it alone. Thats when I also told myself that I need to name this beer in memory of VT. So its just what the name says "Basic" good beer with 1 cup brown sugar for a little more kick. Just got done with the bottling got 36 beers a smaller number than I thought it would be, but nothing to do now but wait two more weeks and pop a top.

Back