VOTE: Shirt Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Design

Results are only viewable after voting.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
1-1605-HBT-shirt.jpg

1-1413-beer_tshirt3.jpg

1-Tshirtfinal2.jpg

hbt_shirt2.jpg

I like them all! It's so hard to decide! I'll pick..... that one.

Wait! that one. Yea. That one.

See, I like #1. It's a simple design, but it's nice and clean. I like the fact that it is a big face AND a couple pint glasses. It's also exactly what we all are doing here, we're talking beer. Maybe I'm just too much a fan of puns.

the_bird said:
See, I like #1. It's a simple design, but it's nice and clean. I like the fact that it is a big face AND a couple pint glasses. It's also exactly what we all are doing here, we're talking beer. Maybe I'm just too much a fan of puns.

Exactly what I was going for. You got it Bird.

#1 uses all of the classical design elements of airport/highway signage. I love it.
Also it will be more versitile than the others since the colors can be inverted. Since it it 2 colors it will be really economical to print AND you can use this graphic on colored t-shirts alot easier. It also looks to be easier to scale up and down without losing any of the design elements. Consider adding a rounded square border to make it look like a sign.

#2 While I like this design, It's not a t-shirt design IMO. Won't Charles Dickens' illustrator come back to haunt us if we use this?

#3 I think has some clarity problems in the REWT area of the graphic. It's in an aspect that wont scale down very well. Lettering isn't bold enough. It uses 3 colors even though there isn't alot of color going on. It will be difficult to use this graphic on colored shirts.

.: #1 is my fave. This is the only graphic that can be easily inverted. (Black to White) so that it can be printed on a Red or Black or Blue t-shirt.

I voted for #2, I love the picture. Number 1 is ok but I don't like #3. I don't think the lettering is crisp/defined enough. To me it just looks sloppy. This is not to bash any of the designs, hell I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, it's just that the lettering on 3 looks like it was done freehand.

I rank them in the order presented. I don't care for the lettering of the third design, but if that element was re-worked it would be very cool. As someone else said, I don't think it will scale down very well.

This #1 is inverted. Any Black color could be the tshirt color.

3712-Inverted.JPG

BTW: This isn't my design. I'm not sure who it belongs to. Just my $0.02.

olllllo said:
#1 uses all of the classical design elements of airport/highway signage. I love it.
Also it will be more versitile than the others since the colors can be inverted. Since it it 2 colors it will be really economical to print AND you can use this graphic on colored t-shirts alot easier. It also looks to be easier to scale up and down without losing any of the design elements. Consider adding a rounded square border to make it look like a sign.

#2 While I like this design, It's not a t-shirt design IMO. Won't Charles Dickens' illustrator come back to haunt us if we use this?

#3 I think has some clarity problems in the REWT area of the graphic. It's in an aspect that wont scale down very well. Lettering isn't bold enough. It uses 3 colors even though there isn't alot of color going on. It will be difficult to use this graphic on colored shirts.

.: #1 is my fave. This is the only graphic that can be easily inverted. (Black to White) so that it can be printed on a Red or Black or Blue t-shirt.

Great input olllllo !! #1 is actually one color depending on the background.
(black on white or white on anything else ) Much more economical if that's what we are striving for. Dicken's is public domain so no worries there.

#3 Scaling can be achieved through Illustrator software. But your right in that specific colored t-shirts will be a problem.

#3 is winning but I wonder how economical it is to print all that color .. Sudster?

#1 is too graphic, too bold. I don't care for the heavy blockiness of it. Plus, I can't really see it. It won't settle into focus for me. It's like that popular batman symbol that I have to stare at for several seconds to recogize the batwings inside the oval.

#2 is nice. I really like the illustration. However, I'm none to sure what a firkin is, and I suspect most other people won't know either. It might be a litttle too detailed for a shirt.

#3 is simple, but if you make it big enough to read clearly, it'll be too wide to fit comfortably across the front of a shirt. Cleaning up the font might help.

I don't like any of them well enough to buy a t-shirt with one of those emblems on it, so I didn't vote. There was no choice for Ralph Nader.

I think voting is premature at this point. Send the designs back to the designers, ask them to address the weaknesses, and encourage more entries before putting it to a vote.

EDIT: One other thing. Why a "pantheon" on #2? A pantheon is a collection of dieties that characterize a particular culture and/or milieu. Are the likenesses in the image those of specific people who were important in the history of brewing? Are they supposed to be recognizable visages?

beer4breakfast said:
#1 is too graphic, too bold. I don't care for the heavy blockiness of it. Plus, I can't really see it. It won't settle into focus for me. It's like that popular batman symbol that I have to stare at for several seconds to recogize the batwings inside the oval.

I don't like any of them well enough to buy a t-shirt with one of those emblems on it, so I didn't vote. There was no choice for Ralph Nader.

I think voting is premature at this point. Send the designs back to the designers, ask them to address the weaknesses, and encourage more entries before putting it to a vote.

I'd be happy to edit/modify. I have to admit that I was slack and didn't refine my idea (#1) as much as I intended to and missed TxBrew's deadline. Oh well :mug:

beer4breakfast said:

I concur.

And now I am adding useless text so that my "too short post" will post.

Well, I still like Ian's design a lot, I personally don't think it needs a lot of modification. I can live with #3 (actually, I like all of them), but I would prefer that the font be different, more readable, and that there were MORE HOPS.

Can't ever have enought hops.

beer4breakfast said:
EDIT: One other thing. Why a "pantheon" on #2? A pantheon is a collection of dieties that characterize a particular culture and/or milieu. Are the likenesses in the image those of specific people who were important in the history of brewing? Are they supposed to be recognizable visages?

Have you never heard of the Beer Gods?? Did you think beer was just a naturally occurring thing? Get someone to explain Yeastivus, god of fermentation, and Hopstrus, demigod of bitterness to you. While you're at it, look up Carbonata, goddess of the little bubbles. Infidel!!

The Beer Gods conversations took place during the El Pistolero days of Moderation.

Those who have been here awhile remember Yeastivus and Hopstrus.

I played the forum as a meeting place for homebrewers and these gods that tempt us.

A Firkin is an old english unit of volume which is equal to about a quarter barrel. Knowing full well that most of us are 3/4 short of a barrel anyway I thought it appropriate to use it as an adjective to describe most of the regulars here on this forum.
:mug:

#1 is cool - it reminds me of Pink Floyd's Division Bell album cover (a lot of talk about album covers today...). Too monochromatic for my taste.

#2 would have my vote except that "firkin" reminds me too much of "merkin" ...Google that

#3 has my vote, though - simple with a catchy font.

All due respect Sudster, I think I'm going to have to go with #3. I like the simplicity of it. It leaves you wanting more, and hopefully someone will take note of it and pay us a visit.

For the record tho, I liked your first design best, even with the Olde English lettering. Sorry to see it wasn't one of the choices. :(

Of course, I haven't voted yet. :p When do the polls close? Election Night at 7pm? ;)

Ize

And where the hell IS El P??? He went south of the border and came back once and haven't seen him since! What is it with these Mods? ;)

:D

Ize

Yuri_Rage said:
#2 would have my vote except that "firkin" reminds me too much of "merkin" ...Google that

I remember the merkins, a band mention in the movie PCU. A great line from that movie "You're going to wear the shirt of the band your going to go see? Don't be that guy."

sause said:
I remember the merkins, a band mention in the movie PCU. A great line from that movie "You're going to wear the shirt of the band your going to go see? Don't be that guy."
Yup, there's a reference...but not the one that makes me not want that shirt.

TxBrew said:
#3 is winning but I wonder how economical it is to print all that color .. Sudster?

Sorry Txbrew , just now saw this. Ian's design has 3 colors if put on a white t shirt. It has 4 colors if put on any thing other than white. One can use a white background(white T-shirt) to simulate the color. If you want a colored t-shirt then white ink will have to be used creating the need for an additional screen. Each screen costs the same. Each screen increases the cost.

Sell that to the masses. :D Cost of the T-shirt is based on Quantity ordered, number of colors, and brand/style/quality of the shirt.

Sir Sudster said:
Sell that to the masses. :D Cost of the T-shirt is based on Quantity ordered, number of colors, and brand/style/quality of the shirt.
I vote for a high quality T-shirt. One that doesn't feel thin and doesn't shrinks bad the first time you wash it.
I'd rather pay a bit more for a shirt that will last longer and will be more comfortable. :mug:

We need to get this done so Santa has some stocking stuffers for me! :ban:

No one has mentioned what they'd be willing to pay. I say $20 a piece is reasonable. Can we get a decent shirt for that (assuming we sell at least a gross of them)? Count me in for at least two.

RichBrewer said:
I vote for a high quality T-shirt. One that doesn't feel thin and doesn't shrinks bad the first time you wash it.
I'd rather pay a bit more for a shirt that will last longer and will be more

x2. I'm still in for two shirts and not really particular about which one. I initially voted for #3 because #1 looked like a ghost wearing a "beer" shirt, but I now see the appeal of all of them.

Kudos to all those who submitted designs, you're a heckuva lot more talented than I.

Back