Vorlaufing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

git_dr1

Reaction score
Hey guys I switched of to AG @ 6 months ago but have never really been successful with vorlaufing.

Cold crashing seems to clear everything up for me before siphoning to fermentor and my beer has been pretty clear.

My question is anyone ever tryed to run the first runnings through something like a coffee filter instead of stirring up the grains by returning the wort to the mash? Just a thought. Thanks.

When you start your vorlauf try to keep your water level above the grain bed. Start draining wort SLOWLY into a pitcher/measuring cup and then gently pour this back into the mash tun trying not to disturb the grain bed. If you do this a few times your wort will start to run clear.....then you can start draining your wort. If you are fly sparging try to keep your water level 3 inches above the grain bed the entire time. And remember slower is always better when sparging.

Don't do that. Keep it simple.

I use a pump, which makes vorlaufing a breeze. I used to just run a gallon or two into a pitcher and return to the mash tun. But really, it's much ado about nothing.

Seriously, focus on some other part of your brewing. The vorlauf is not a big deal.

I batch sparge and it takes me @ 45 min to an hour to vorlauf. Is this slow enough.
I would say I vorlauf about 1 1/2 - 2 gallons before giving up. The matter does slow down but not to what I would consider clear.

It definitely should not take you 45-60 min to vorlauf. 15 min maybe, at the most (assuming you're batch sparging). I used to worry a lot about getting the runnings super clear, then I started following Denny Conn's advice, which is to just vorlauf until there are no more big chunks of grain in the wort. Saves lots of time and the final product hasn't changed a bit.

I think it's Denny, too, who did some experiments that showed that pre-boil wort clarity had little to do with clarity of the end product. Plus lots of people here have reported not vorlaufing at all and having no problems. So don't sweat it!

Oh, and I put a big folded-up piece of tin foil over the mash when I vorlauf, so I can pour the wort back in and not disturb the grain bed. Helps.

I make my gf hold a 1 gal. paint strainer bag over the end of the valve for all 3 runnings. It does a good job but my brew day already runs almost 5 hours so I do not want it any longer by vorlaufing.

You are not going to get super clear wort from vorlaufing.
Just make sure there are not grain bits coming through.
It will be hazy just not chunky.

When vorlaufing at my buddy's place, we typically float a tuperware lid on top of the grain bed, so as we dump wort back into the tun, we pout it on the lid to reduce disturbance of the grain bed - very similar to what someone already suggested with tin foil, except the lids float better. ;)

I think you're mixing up two separate issues. Vorlauf and final clarity don't have much in common. Vorlaufing is a means of setting the grain bed to filter out tanin producing husks. While excessive husks may cause some clarity issues, more common causes would be poor hot or cold break or, more commonly, chill haze.

I'm not a rocket scientist and this only comes from personal experience. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, I vorlauf about 2 qts. in a couple of minutes and the bits are gone.

Bob

Thanks guys. Guess I was looking to far into. I do get all the big chunks when vorlaufing. I was under the impression to try to get clarity. Thanks again.

I vorlauf in a matter of seconds...only about 2-3 quarts for a standard batch.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. I fill this pitcher maybe 3/4 of the way and at that point the runnings are clear. Takes maybe 3 minutes. I'm using a copper manifold in a chest cooler.

2-4.jpg

Yeah, I just vorlauf until all the chunks of grain are out of the wort and it looks reasonably clear, doesn't take too long. I also use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag on my pot and my runnings get filtered by that on their way into the kettle. Doesn't take any extra time and it always manages to catch come more grain debris.
Those big paint strainer bags come in handy for so many things....

Your runnings will not be clear. It is a horrible term in much of the home brewing literature. It will look like unfiltered apple cider with no big chunks. If you are disturbing the grain bed when vorlaufing, your grain bed is probably too shallow. Get a smaller diameter (or rectangular) MLT so your grain bed is deeper. You can pour through a colander too, but shouldn't be necessary as disturbing the top inch shouldn't effect the other 9-12" of grain.

I vorlauf 1 gallon of wort in 5 minutes or less, make sure the chunks of grain are out and away I go. I don't worry about clarity at this point and have never had a clarity problem in the final product.

I guess I mis-spoke. I don't vorlauf for 40-45 min I sparge for 40-45 min. When vorlaufing usually 5 min. Is this a normal time for sparging?

Sounds about right...large batches? I vorlauf a 3 gal sparge in mere seconds

Back