Volume of liquid and forced carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosettaSt0ned

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When force carbonating beer, does the volume (as in, how much I have, not volumes of CO2) of the liquid matter in regard to the pressure used to force carbonate? Due to a boilover and about a gallon of trub/dry hop loss, I only got about 3-3.5 gallons into the keg. Set the pressure to 30PSI and was going to let it sit for a day or so, then purge and readjust to serving pressure for about a day.

Does it matter that less than a full batch in the keg with all that headspace, or will it carb up more or less like a 5 gallon batch with this force method? Not rolling/shaking or anything, just letting it sit in the fridge.

No, it does not matter. Just make sure you purge well to get all the air out.

When force carbonating beer, does the volume (as in, how much I have, not volumes of CO2) of the liquid matter in regard to the pressure used to force carbonate? [...]

It's not the pressure that varies with volume, but assuming the same vessel with constant diameter, with lower volume the duration of carbonation time to achieve saturation will be shorter - regardless of the pressure used.

Does it matter that less than a full batch in the keg with all that headspace, or will it carb up more or less like a 5 gallon batch with this force method? Not rolling/shaking or anything, just letting it sit in the fridge.

If you give the head space a decent flush with CO2 it'll be like it's not even there. Head space doesn't affect carbonation time; volume, depth, exposed surface area and pressure do...

Cheers!

It's not the pressure that varies with volume, but assuming the same vessel with constant diameter, with lower volume the duration of carbonation time to achieve saturation will be shorter - regardless of the pressure used.

If you give the head space a decent flush with CO2 it'll be like it's not even there. Head space doesn't affect carbonation time; volume, depth, exposed surface area and pressure do...

Cheers!

So it'll be carbed sooner than I thought, great! Happy accidents. Thanks!

Back